My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

need to remove nail polish without remover - how?

12 replies

poppym12 · 13/08/2018 19:11

I forgot to repurchase when I ran out. I really need to get this polish off tonight but I'm without my car at the moment (and live in the arse end of nowhere). Has anyone found something, albeit accidentally and unwantedly, that gets nail polish off?

OP posts:
Whoisalanbrazil · 13/08/2018 19:13

Alcohol based things. Rubbing alcohol preferably.

NaomiNagata · 13/08/2018 19:13

Perfume or toothpaste should do it.

Use a toothbrush and toothpaste to rub off or use perfume on a tissue/cotton pad.

Mrsbadger77 · 13/08/2018 19:14

Paint over it with nail polish then wipe straight off with cotton wool

stripeytshirt77 · 13/08/2018 19:16

Surgical spirit. I’m a beauty therapist and we use surg to clean at work. If I have painted nails it ruins them.

Millipedewithherfeetup · 13/08/2018 19:18

You could just pick it off? I've resorted to that on more than one occasion!

Pinkandyellowandgreen · 13/08/2018 19:21

Paint over it with nail polish then wipe straight off with cotton wool

This.

The polish itself acts as a solvent so if you have wet polish and wipe it does a reasonable clean up job. It's not as effective as actual remover - especially if the polish itself is a dark red (tends to leave debris lines around the cuticles) but you can get it off.

Then have a long soak in the bath for the residue on the skin.

Peoplemaynoticeus · 13/08/2018 19:50

Headlice treatment used to strip my regular nail polish clean off

poppym12 · 13/08/2018 19:56

Thank you for the ideas. It's off. I can whiz through my MRI scan tomorrow without a problem now Grin

I used a nail polish I'd never liked to get the bulk of it off which gave me rather fetching salmon coloured cuticles. Half a dozen pre-injection swabs tidied that up. Now to soak my poor nails in almond oil to apologise to them. Wine

OP posts:
Astrid2 · 13/08/2018 20:21

I did not know you had to take nail varnish off for an MRI! I've been a nurse for 13 years 😂🤦‍♀️

poppym12 · 13/08/2018 21:12

I've been having them for years and the appointment letter always states no make up, jewellery or nail polish. Maybe it's not like that everywhere or maybe it depends on which bit is being scanned?

OP posts:
ErrolTheDragon · 14/08/2018 00:05

MRI machines use very powerful magnets, some polishes contain metallic particles.

'The powerful magnetic field of the MR system will attract iron-containing (also known as ferromagnetic) objects and may cause them to move suddenly and with great force. This can pose a possible risk to the patient or anyone in the object's "flight path." Great care is taken to be certain that external objects such as ferromagnetic screwdrivers and oxygen tanks are not brought into the MR system area. As a patient, it is vital that you remove all metallic belongings in advance of an MRI exam, including hearing aids, watches, jewelry, cell phones, and items of clothing that have metallic threads or fasteners. Additionally, makeup, nail polish, or other cosmetics that may contain metallic particles should be removed if applied to the area of the body undergoing the MRI examination.'

www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=safety-mr

Pinkandyellowandgreen · 14/08/2018 11:54

Also if you have any powerful mosquito repellent (DEET) that will also remove nail polish but it needs to be the stronger stuff.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.