My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Anyone use a silk pillowcase?

20 replies

Piccolino2 · 04/01/2018 10:20

I’ve fancied one for ages and in the true spirit of looking after myself this year I’ve just ordered one. It arrives tomorrow and I feel very decadent. It’ll be like Dallas in my side of the bed!

I also ordered some silk night gloves as my hands get so sore in the winter. Here’s to hoping they’ll work.

OP posts:
ReachOutAndTouchDave · 04/01/2018 10:24

I do, but only recently. My hair's less tangled I guess, but in all honesty I sleep like I'm under attack so I don't think it's going to be life changing. My friend swears by them for post 40 skin and hair though. I don't feel too decadent as it was a tenner from Amazon after reading about them on Swears By. Grin

bunbunny · 04/01/2018 10:30

I've been meaning to get one as a present for my mum who suffers from a sore face but wanted to get a nice one rather than a random guess from Amazon or eBay that could be great but could be rubbish...

How did you choose yours - and how do you reckon they are quality wise?

Thanks!

Piccolino2 · 04/01/2018 10:34

I just looked at Amazon and went for one with good reviews and that was not too cheap. This is the one I got. It comes tomorrow so will update after using it a few days.

Anyone use a silk pillowcase?
OP posts:
Vitalogy · 04/01/2018 10:35

I've heard they're good for the skin and hair. Although I'd have to get an organic silk one I think, because they kill the silk worms otherwise. Sad

Abingdon · 04/01/2018 10:36

Bought mine a year ago and absolutely love them. I've noticed far fewer blemishes (adult acne problems) and hopefully they're delaying wrinkles at least a bit too!
Let us know how you get on, OP!

Piccolino2 · 04/01/2018 10:37

Oh no @Vitalogy do they? I actually did think I should maybe look up if there were any cruelty issues with silk but really just didn’t think there would be. Why do they kill them? I might have to cancel my order now

OP posts:
Vitalogy · 04/01/2018 11:02

I know, I thought the same when considering getting one, I didn't realise. I think the price may have put me off in the end. It's a minefield OP as per with these things. I should imagine some advertise as being organic when maybe they aren't. Making sure it's a reputable company is the key I'd say. I'd like to try one though. Anyway, here's a link to the Good Housekeeping page re this subject:

www.goodhousekeeping.com/home-products/best-sheets/g3948/best-silk-pillowcases/

If I find anymore links I'll post.

Vitalogy · 04/01/2018 11:04

PS. I think they kill them because it cost more to keep them alive for the next cycle. I'll try and find the link I was reading.

Vitalogy · 04/01/2018 11:11
Vitalogy · 04/01/2018 11:17

What did I say minefield:

www.wormspit.com/peacesilk.htm

I'll not post anymore on the subject. Unless ones a vegetarian it's no worse than eating animal. I give up!

PocketCoffeeEspresso · 04/01/2018 11:17

Silk is the silkworm's cocoon - generally they boil the cocoon before it hatches, otherwise some of the silk is damaged. They only need enough moths to hatch to lay eggs for the next generation of silk worms.

Piccolino2 · 04/01/2018 11:29

Actually I was just googling this. It makes me so sad that we treat animals like this for profit. Even the peace silk isn’t a good option. Now I’m really not sure what to do!Argh!!

OP posts:
RavingRoo · 04/01/2018 11:31

I thought satin pillowcases were supposed to be good for your hair?

Vitalogy · 04/01/2018 11:33

I'll add another argh! to it. I wanted one too, although I'm still eating fish at this point so I can't talk!

ReachOutAndTouchDave · 04/01/2018 14:01

That Jasmine silk one is the one I have and was recommended on Mumsnet Swears By.

But yeah, sorry to say I hadn't considered the animal cruelty aspect when buying.

ZaraW · 04/01/2018 17:55

You need ethical silk which is cruelty free Nourished Life in Australia is a good company expensive but worth it.

Vitalogy · 04/01/2018 18:12

$70 Zara plus P&P, surely there's a company in the UK, unless you're in Australia yourself. Just had a look at exchange rate £40. Plus P&P.

ZaraW · 04/01/2018 18:14

Just ready Vitalogy's link I will probably use satin pillowcases next time I need a new pillowcase.

Honeycake50 · 04/01/2018 18:21

This reply has been withdrawn

The OP has privacy concerns, so we've agreed to take this down.

newsfromnowhere · 04/01/2018 23:05

Was given a Slip silk pillowcase from Net a Porter for a ‘big’ birthday. Bloody love it. Need to sell some stuff on eBay to raise funds for another one.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.