Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Style & Beauty

From brown to blonde hair help?

32 replies

27Harper · 02/09/2017 10:18

Hi there. I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I currently have fairly dark brown hair at the moment, but I'm wanting to go blonde. I have an idea of how to do it myself, but I know that I'm much better off going to someone who actually knows what they're doing, especially with bleach.

The thing that's putting me off is that I want it done in one session. I have really long hair and I know I'll need to get a few inches cut off and that's grand, but whenever I go in there they make it sound like they need to cut all of my hair off, or they won't do it in one session. I don't know how to really say that I want it all done in one session at at most 3 inches off if that's possible?

I'm thinking either one or two shades, one quite a good bit lighter than the other one.

Would either of the two of these be possible in one sitting without cutting too much off from medium to darkish hair? Its not super dark or anything but I don't know how else to describe it lol. Thank you if anyone can answer if possible. Thank you! xx

OP posts:
Please
or

allegretto · 02/09/2017 10:22

Honestly? If that's you in the photo I wouldn't touch it! Your hair is a lovely colour right now. I sound like my mum.

Please
or

27Harper · 02/09/2017 10:26

No that's not me or my hair colour lol, the to pictures are two of the shades of blonde I'm thinking of. I just didn't want to put a picture of myself up since I'm probably the most camera shy person on earth xx

OP posts:
Please
or

CryptoFascist · 02/09/2017 10:28

Make sure you go to a salon that offers Olaplex or Keraplex treatment as this helps prevent breakage and makes it possible for hair to be lightened quite a lot in one session.

Please
or

goatface · 02/09/2017 10:28

You will never achieve that look in one session.
I went from dark brown to blonde and it took around four visits (and still ruined my hair) go slow and steady, a good hairdresser will be honest with that they can achieve

Please
or

Babymamamama · 02/09/2017 10:31

That looks like ash brown base with ash blonde highlights. But either there is some serious re growth or it has been done as Ombré. As the roots look so much darker than the ends. What is your base/ natural colour?

Please
or

MissSmiley · 02/09/2017 10:35

I've done this twice. The first time I found a crazy hairdresser who slapped bleach all over and it still took two sessions. I didn't like it. It looked nothing like your pics.
Second time, I did it properly and started having lots of highlights and gradually built it up. It looked much more like your first pic and eventually went really light. It ruined my hair though and although it looked great when it was wet it was like cotton wool and really hurt to brush it.
Also, really had to watch if it got wet in the rain, didn't really work with regular gym sessions and having to wash hair regularly.
In the end I chopped it all off and went natural again. It's sooo soft and I will never bleach or dye mine again although I did love being blonde for a while,
Finally it depends on how dark you are but I had to wear loads of makeup when blonde and my skin looked odd. Back at my natural colour my skin looks younger and I can get away with a lot less makeup.

Please
or

27Harper · 02/09/2017 10:36

Just to be clear again, neither of these pictures are of myself or my colour. My natural hair colour is a kind of ash, moussey brown. It's fairly dark. The second pic is ombre lol xx

OP posts:
Please
or

2furbabies · 02/09/2017 10:38

Hey babe what you want is a balayage colour !! You won't get super blonde he first time and it can be expensive but means you don't have to touch the roots, which allows your hair to still grow well and less damage. Also need your hair doing a lot
Less than standard highlights as they don't go on the root that much.
They hand paint the bleach or high lift tint on gives a much more natural but glam look. It's my fave!
If you can find someone to do it it's well worth the money! And even if your not super blonde can promise you will be so impressed

Please
or

2furbabies · 02/09/2017 10:39

P.s if your hairdressers hesitates when you ask for balayage probs shouldn't use them! Go somewhere they are confident in it xx

Please
or

27Harper · 02/09/2017 10:40

Not me, but this is pretty close to what my colour is right now xx

OP posts:
Please
or

27Harper · 02/09/2017 10:41

2furbabies - Thanks for the tip hun, I've always wanted to try balayage I think it looks fantastic! xx

OP posts:
Please
or

crazycatgal · 02/09/2017 10:42

Is your hair virgin hair or is it dyed? If it's virgin they should be able to get you quite close to what you want using olaplex.

Please
or

27Harper · 02/09/2017 10:45

It's unfortunately been dyed several times using dark hair dyes. I haven't dyed it in about 6 months though xx

OP posts:
Please
or

Orangebird69 · 02/09/2017 10:48

Do not trust ANY hairdresser that says they can achieve this is one go. You will need at least two sessions. Your hair will be totally fucked otherwise.

Please
or

destructogirl · 02/09/2017 10:52

My hair has been dyed several times with dark hair dye, its about the same colour as yours. Hairdressers completely refuse to even attempt blonde highlights on me. They say the damage will be too great Sad

Please
or

27Harper · 02/09/2017 10:53

I understand if they say several sessions, I'm just concerned that it will be brassy looking? Will they tone it each session? I've only had it bleached once and it was only highlights and they didn't even tone it and it turned out super brassy. Never went back there again xx

OP posts:
Please
or

Babymamamama · 02/09/2017 11:38

Suggest you find someone in real life whose hair you like and ask them for their recommendations for a colourist. It would be worth doing some research and don't rush this process. Even within salons skill levels between staff can really vary. And yes I would see this as a transition to be worked towards and not achievable in one session. Let us know how you get on? Toner is always a good idea and you shouldn't be charged extra for this I don't think.

Please
or

27Harper · 02/09/2017 11:42

How realistic would this colour be in one session? More of a light brown hair colour with added highlights maybe? xx

OP posts:
Please
or

Babymamamama · 02/09/2017 11:43

Yes I think that is achievable and then on subsequent visits you add more highlights gradually to lift the colour further.

Please
or

27Harper · 02/09/2017 11:45

Thanks hun. Any idea how much a decent place would charge for something like this? Like a ballpark figure? I don't go to hairdressers that often so don't know that much about the pricing xx

OP posts:
Please
or

Orangebird69 · 02/09/2017 11:46

Long hair, a couple of colours (you'd be looking at foils for that last pic probably), depending on where you are - £80/90?

Please
or

27Harper · 02/09/2017 11:51

That's actually pretty decent. My hubby said that he'll pay for it since it's my birthday present so that's lucky lol. Think I'd be much more willing to go light brown first and then build up through highlights since the last thing I want is to wreck my hair xx

OP posts:
Please
or

coraliss · 02/09/2017 12:07

You will indeed achieve your desired hair colour in one session. I'm naturally dark & ive been blonde for years. I don't know of any hairdressers / heard of any techniques ( except extensions ) that may require multiple visits?! It may be a 4/5 job but it's definitely achievable in one visit. Having gone to blonde from dark brown myself, I would not recommend you doing this yourself, for sure it will go wrong & then you will have knackered your hair up & your trip to the salon will be a lengthy correcting session ( and more expensive ) than I originally would have been had you gone there first. Only thing I would say is to find a high quality salon, this will be costly, but it will look lovely 😊 please leave it to the experts ... I've had many hair disasters and there's nothing worse than a poor home jobby hair cock up.

Please
or

coraliss · 02/09/2017 12:08

Definitely Ballyage you want... as a previous poster mentioned. Good luck hope you love it xx

Please
or

27Harper · 02/09/2017 12:13

Thank you coraliss! Are you referring to the light brown one that I posted, or the two original pics? xx

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?