My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

What would go with this dress??

30 replies

boysandcars · 05/05/2012 10:25

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_008010572447_-1?breadcrumb=Home%7EDesigners%7EWomen

I've tried on many dresses for a wedding later in the year and this is the only one that looks ok on my post baby curves but not sure what shoes/accessories etc to go with it? Navy/black shoes might be a bit matchy? But would nude shoes looka bit pale? I'm open to any suggestions on accessories?

TIA

OP posts:
MrsLettuce · 05/05/2012 10:48

bright pink
turquoise
coral

MrsLettuce · 05/05/2012 10:53

Already suggested this combo on another thread but it'd work with this dress too: turquoise or coral shoes & floral bag

MadAboutHotChoc · 05/05/2012 10:57

Gorgeous dress!!

Coral, fuschia, teal and red all will go well with navy. Pastels will look washed out so you need to go bright.

MrsLettuce · 05/05/2012 10:59

yy, go bright in any case.

boysandcars · 05/05/2012 19:11

Thanks, I agree brights look good and make it a bit more summery rather than looking like I'm going to a funeral! I love the coral shoes and like the idea of the bag MrsLettuce suggested but I'm not much into florals. This bag:

www.dune.co.uk/lissy-multi-stripe-beaded-clutch-bag-prodlissy00multi/

is also on their website and more me but am I then going a bit too bright?

OP posts:
MrsLettuce · 05/05/2012 20:01

I love that bag and I don't think it's too bright. I fear the stripes on the bag and the spots on the dress will clash horribly though, you'd have to try IRL to be sure.

MrsLettuce · 05/05/2012 20:34
whackamole · 05/05/2012 20:37

Very pretty, and I also concur with brights! I'd go down the solid colour look though. Turquoise would look great with tanned pins.

No jewellery though, or just small earrings. Otherwise I think you'll end up looking a bit busy.

boysandcars · 05/05/2012 21:14

Yes maybe a bright solid colour would be better what with all the spots, mesh etc (meanwhile off to find outfit to go with fab, multi bright clutch bag MrsL!). And good point about the jewellery, as I'm easily tempted with busy jewellery.

I think coral or turquoise sound good - I'll get searching but any more suggestions are v welcome

OP posts:
yummymummyreally · 05/05/2012 21:31

Love the dress, but it's a tricky one. I'd be tempted to wear my patent black Teb Baker stilettos with it, but probably too cocktail party instead of wedding.

Orange is the complementary colour to blue, but you need the right shade. And I can't find any dark enough this season.

How about silver shoes? They could tie in with silver jewelry? And maybe a navy clutch with silver detailing?

yummymummyreally · 05/05/2012 21:32

P.S. I wore a navy dress to my sisters wedding and ended up with navy shoes and navy sparkly clutch. But I was the maid of honour, so 'matching' was a little more required!

MrsLettuce · 05/05/2012 21:49

For a simple deep coral clutch maybe this or this? Of course there's always the dune one that officially matches the coral shoes I linked to before. Can't say I'm really a fan.

yummymummyreally · 05/05/2012 22:33

Love the first coral clutch MrsLettuce. That would be lovely. Not sure about the shoes though...

iloveACK · 05/05/2012 22:38

Love the dress Grin sorry cant help re accessories as unfortunately I'm not a S&B guru (you ladies are amazing & I often lurk on your threads in admiration!)Grin

MrsLettuce · 05/05/2012 23:03

TBH yummymummyreally I'm not a fan of matching shoes and bags at all it can often look pretty dated and (therefore) aging too, IMHO.

If I was accessorizing it for myself I think I'd go with these and the a coral clutch. Have got some earrings pretty much the same as these, hair up, done.

But, I've not lived in the UK for years now. Maybe it's still the done thing at home.

boysandcars · 06/05/2012 09:39

I know iloveACK, I freakin love mumsnet for this sort of thing, I'd be clueless otherwise.

So... I really like the phase eight coral clutch and I'll do simple silver earrings and hair up. MrsLettuce, could you just remind me what shoes you'd go for cos the link goes to a bag? Was it these?

www.dune.co.uk/chime-d-bow-peep-toe-wedge-court-shoe-prodchimed98coral/

OP posts:
MrsLettuce · 06/05/2012 11:36

Ah, sorry!

No, they are sweet but I'd go for these myself

yummymummyreally · 08/05/2012 14:20

MrsLettuce Luurve those shoes!

MrsLettuce · 08/05/2012 14:27

Me too - don't often get the chance to wear such lovelies but I'm looking for an excuse as we speak Wink

yummymummyreally · 08/05/2012 17:03

One of the main reasons I still work part-time is that I have a great excuse to wear heels!
Smile

boysandcars · 08/05/2012 20:22

Yes I love them too but I think I'll struggle to walk/carry a squirmy baby around in them.

What about
www.kurtgeiger.com/women/fallhard-27.html

with
www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/nl/en/zara-S2012/189512/783035/PATCHWORK%2BCLUTCH%2BBAG

OP posts:
MrsLettuce · 08/05/2012 20:51

TBH plainish navy shoes (wedges?) might be better if your going with the zara bag.I know I linked to it first but it's too much for the dress really Blush. You can get away with it but not with bright shoes.

best to keep the detail to the shoes and the bag plan, I feel. The phase8 coral bag and these frankly mad but potentially fab and comfy shoes could maybe work.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

boysandcars · 08/05/2012 21:15

Sorry MrsLettuce - no matter how comfy I just couldn't do it!

OP posts:
MrsLettuce · 08/05/2012 21:43

Grin

You are a wise woman.

KellyKapowski · 09/05/2012 09:44

If you're looking for comfy navy shoes, I have these www.next.co.uk/g37254s1#832306g37 and they are comfy and easy to walk in.

You need to size up though as they are very narrow.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.