My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Holiday wardrobe for 1 month trip around Australia

22 replies

jen127 · 04/05/2012 15:25

Fellow Mn's I have a sartorial challenge for you!
We are fortunate enough to be travelling to Australia this July for a month and will be travelling around mostly by plane. Thus we will be exposed to low 20's to high 30"s weather. ( according to the person who sold us the flights)
I need to pack light to leave room for all I plan to buy
I am only 5'0 tall so need a diverse wardrobe and definitely not travel clothes espcialy as they don't make them in midget sizes
How much should I pack? my DH is already making donkey noises

I wear a lot of jeans at home for work and would prefer not to wear them a lot on holiday , do you have any suggestions.
Also what are the shops to have a look in when in Australia ?

OP posts:
Cloudminnow · 04/05/2012 16:27

We spent a month in Australia in August and did not bring enough warm clothes. We had to buy fleeces when we were there and even a coat for DS. July may be a bit warmer, but it depends where you are going (we were in NSW). Will you have easy access to a washing machine, as that could also be another thing to consider clotheswise. I brought one pair of jeans intending to not wear them much, but in the end that's what I mainly wore. It also got dark very quickly (about 4.30) and thus colder still. If I was going again I'd bring lots of layers and shawls. Hope you have a great time!

midoriway · 04/05/2012 17:14

Where in Australia are you going, it is a big country. July in Melbourne is woolly socks, umbrella and a decent jacket. July in the north of the country is dry and warm. July in the middle of the country is freezing at night, very hot in day.

jen127 · 04/05/2012 17:39

We are staying in hotels so no washing machines! We are visiting Brisbane , Port Douglas , Uluru and Sydney. So from warm to warmer to cool to possibly cold!

OP posts:
gregssausageroll · 04/05/2012 18:20

Oz is the backpackers capital. There are laundrettes. Don't take much. Instead once I. A whole head out for coffee and get your clothes into the laundrette.

FauxFox · 04/05/2012 19:20

A jersey dress (non creasing) to dress up or down
A jersey maxi dress
A pair of capri length trousers in a bright colour
A denim skirt
5 x t-shirts/vest tops (grey/white/black/navy/bright)
Converse type trainers
Birkies/gladiator sandals
1 x heels for evening
Lots of knickers!
An oversize T-shirt to wear in bed
Swimming costume/bikini

FauxFox · 04/05/2012 19:20

And a cardi!

FauxFox · 04/05/2012 19:21

And a denim jacket

That's it now promise!

jen127 · 04/05/2012 21:03

Faux fox you are sooper!

OP posts:
PrinceRogersNelson · 04/05/2012 21:19

Australia is very expensive to buy clothes. I have just got back and only bought Bonds underwear home with me as the rest of the clothes were more expensive than UK, not as good quality and not that nice!

Notcontent · 04/05/2012 21:45

Jen - July in Australia is actually middle of winter. It will be warm up north and in central Australia, but really quite cold down south. In Sydney everyone will be wearing coats and boots. In Brisbane it may be warm in the middle of the day but cold in the morning and evening. No one will be wearing sandals!

Definitely take some warm things. (I am from Australia in case you are wondering.)

SkivingAgain · 04/05/2012 21:53

Remember that your internal flights may have lower weight limits than your flights to and from Oz. We found that the 'fashion' wasn't up to much, so don't rely on buying too much out there (no offence intended Notcontent.

echt · 05/05/2012 06:38

Always pack a thermal vest and a pashmina, or its equivalent. They pack light and don't take up much room. Oh, and a pair of big fluffy socks of the kind for shuffling round your hotel room in.

One thing Oz does splendidly, and vair cheaply IMHO is merino undies. Go to Target. They are fab.

origamirose · 05/05/2012 06:59

I was in Queensland last July (surfers paradise). It was much much colder than i thought it would be. I stayed with my sister so could borrow some of her clothes. During the same trip I spent a weekend in Sydney. Baltic.
Pack as you would for late September in the uk ( with the exception of the central Australia bit where it will be v cold at night but hot in the day).

saffronwblue · 05/05/2012 07:34

Port Douglas is in the tropics- you will have day time temps in high 20s or 30s.

gregssausageroll · 05/05/2012 08:23

If it were me on the flight I'd take and or wear

Boots and warm jacket/coat with gloves in pocket and umbrella in handbag.

In case

Jeans x 2 pairs
Shorts x 2 pairs
T-shirts that you can wear under a cardi or jumper (one or two of each) or a shirt.
Undies although I agree with whoever mentioned above about Bonds undies so you could stock up when shopping.
Converse type shoes that can be comfy for walking but also a bit smarter than trainers.
Thongs
Swimmers
Something smarter for at night.
Toilettries I'd get when you arrive. Depending on what hotels you are in you are likely to get some. Even if you just use the shampoo and conditioner supplied it will cut down on baggage space and yes, depending on who your internal flights are with your baggage may be lower than your longhaul flight.
Clothes are not that great to buy and when you do find somewhere nice you will most likely baulk at the price. Clothes are expensive which is why lots of brits usually have their new clothes shipped over from M&S etc!

Magicglassesfairy · 05/05/2012 13:45

Also - lots of hotels have washing machines - even those that you might not expect to have them. People seem to expect to do washing more often there.
Perhaps check on the websites of hotels you might stay in. We have done this type of trip and I usually plan packing around laundry facilities (which makes me sound really dull!)

jen127 · 05/05/2012 17:08

Thank you !

OP posts:
lololizzy · 05/05/2012 18:32

for my first trip down under, I went for whole of July and instantly regretted it when landed to sleet falling on the runway ! Had to go out and buy tons of warm clothes (Victoria). Tasmania was even worse. Had enough in the end and headed out to Queensland where it was way warmer and could wear summer stuff. Def jeans...also leggings for comfy travel..and lots of t-shirts. Layering is the key! I know Target was mentioned, but is great for cheap basics.

lololizzy · 05/05/2012 18:33

and as said...gets dark super early that time of year...so get up early each day to make the most of sightseeing!

lololizzy · 05/05/2012 18:34

btw the only time i wore sandal/flipflops the whole trip, was in Cairns. In Cape Tribulation it was walking boots, everywhere else, trainers.

lololizzy · 05/05/2012 18:36

Love Bonds too also Antz Pantz, last forever!

nancy75 · 05/05/2012 18:58

We just got back from Brisbane, the weather has been bad this year and temperatures are lower than normal. You will need cardigan/jackets for the evening and possibly the day too.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.