My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Suits are quite outdated now aren't they ?

27 replies

Heswall · 22/04/2012 18:49

I have a big interview this week that I would normally wear a suit and shirt to but when I attended the first round of the process the person I would be reporting to was wearing a dress and jacket and I felt a bit frumpy tbh.
I've still got about a stone to loose so don't want to invest in a close fitting dress but I'm worried a wrap dress might be too casual and a bit unforgiving.
WWYD ?

OP posts:
firsttimemama · 22/04/2012 18:55

I would never mark someone down for wearing a suit to an interview. I would expect it if it was an office job. (Not a junior position though).

Ephiny · 22/04/2012 18:55

I'd stick with the traditional suit for an interview, personally. There's nothing wrong with being a bit more formally dressed than the person interviewing you.

I think it's becoming more usual for offices to have a smart-casual dress codes for everyday though.

LesAnimaux · 22/04/2012 18:57

Hmm...I think when you are going to an interview you should wear a suit, even if the person interviewing doesn't, and you wouldn't actually be wearing a suit for the job.

Suits can look very good, if accessorised well.

Heswall · 22/04/2012 18:58

Customer facing, not an office role

OP posts:
Heswall · 22/04/2012 18:59

I could do with a new suit you see I guess I was hoping you'd all say no you don't need one at all lol

OP posts:
tethersend · 22/04/2012 19:12

Normally I would say suit, every time.

And I would this time if it wasn't for this amazing dress... Hope you're a 16 or 18...

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 22/04/2012 19:45

Gorgeous dress, Tethers - but would be much better with a lower neckline.

OP - I used to think suit but tbh nowadays I think it's the jacket that matters, rather than the suit overall. A dress and jacket can be just as smart as a suit. If I were to wear a suit, I'd wear a nice top rather than a shirt to make it more feminine looking.

firsttimemama · 22/04/2012 19:49

Yes - sorry dress and Jacket (suit type) would be fine by me.

tethersend · 22/04/2012 19:53

Hello Remus Smile

I like the higher neck, TBH- I don't always feel like getting my baps out for interviews Grin

Llareggub · 22/04/2012 19:55

Where I work we're all in dresses and jackets with cardigans on dress down days. Think tailored dresses rather than jersey though.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 22/04/2012 20:02

:) I can't wear such a high neck though, or I just look ridiculous. I need a v subtle scoop, ideally. It's lovely though. And how ARE you? Long to go now?

tethersend · 22/04/2012 20:07

CS booked for the 18th May

About to go off on ML and am the size of a planet... A grumpy planet.

How are you?

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 22/04/2012 20:14

That soon? Blimey, it only feels like a few weeks since you first announced it! I'm fine, thanks. :)

fivecandles · 22/04/2012 20:19

I think you're right. The interviews I've been to in the last few years (on both sides of the desk) the candidates have worn dresses or other smart clothes. I think it shows a bit of daring and style that you can do smart without being boring and conventional.

mirpuppet · 22/04/2012 20:21

I think it depends how formal the organisation is for example a law firm I would wear a suit; a PR company I would not wear a suit.

Right now for women I think suits are trending down (they will be back) I'm a fan of dresses. If I was wearing trousers I would wear a suit.

ZenNudist · 22/04/2012 20:28

If not a suit, You could go for a structured dress in grey or black with a nice scarf and smart jacket. I'd err on the side of smarter as it's one of the easiest ways to get marked down at interview. Overall is worth shelling out for good work attire when you want to make a good impression, either at interview or an 'I
Mean business' meeting with client/boss etc.

Bonsoir · 22/04/2012 20:31

Suits haven't been de rigueur or even high status office wear for ages now. A dress and jacket is a very good look, imo, as you can take the jacket off and still look great.

Heswall · 22/04/2012 21:07

I thought hoped that might be the case Bonsoir and others.
Anyone seen a nice dress thats a 12 with a bit of give/stretch until I am Grin

OP posts:
Heswall · 22/04/2012 21:26
OP posts:
Bonsoir · 22/04/2012 21:50

I like this dress

tethersend · 22/04/2012 22:05

Not keen on that, sorry- not structured enough IMO.

How about:
green

Lace detail

After saying no to a suit, this jacket and this skirt are fab and a bargain...

Purple

Grey

tethersend · 22/04/2012 22:07

I don't like the coast one- I like Bonsoir's Cos one, although it wouldn't suit all shapes.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Heswall · 22/04/2012 22:52

The cos one reminds me a hop sack, i'd look bloody awful in it.

OP posts:
Heswall · 22/04/2012 22:53

The suit is nice but not my sizes unfortunately. Will keep looking, thanks so far x

OP posts:
RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 23/04/2012 20:00

That Cos one is one of the most revolting looking dresses I have seen in my life - I would rather wear Per Una and that, to quote the great Bananarama, is really saying something.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.