My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

why is my skin always better after a night out?

5 replies

AuntieMaggie · 15/04/2012 22:31

When its been plastered in make up that i didn't wash off til lunchtime the following day?

I don't get it. when i look after it and keep it clean its shit.

OP posts:
LaurieFairyCake · 15/04/2012 22:35

My theory is that you are better hydrated - yes, I know alcohol is supposed to dehydrate you but if you're up late drinking you're still taking on liquid.

And my theory about the make-up thing is two-fold - you sweat through the make-up causing it to 'set' well and giving you a sweaty 'glow' - also some makeup is actively good for you and can protect your skin - like the mineral make-up. You don't have to wash it off.

spatchcock · 15/04/2012 22:57

Make up (toner/cleansers for example) has alcohol in it. If I make the assumption from your OP that you didn't take your make up off because you were drinking, at a guess your skin looks better because the alcohol you consumed treated your skin from the inside instead of the more ineffective route from the outside.

That's what I tell myself when I'm too drunk to wash my face, anyway.

AuntieMaggie · 16/04/2012 19:29

So the lesson is drink more and dont wash my face :o

OP posts:
Mombojombo · 16/04/2012 19:31

Yes!! So true! There's something about the waxy sheen of a hangover face that means my makeup goes on like a dream the next day...

BillowingPegBag · 16/04/2012 19:40

It's possibly because your skin is actually a bit 'puffed up' because of dehydration, unfortunately. When your body realises it is dehydrated it goes into 'conservation of water' overdrive and tries to hold reserves of water in things like skin. Thus smoothing out wrinkles etc, I suppose Grin

This is the reason why it's sometimes better to drink water when you are feeling bloated - your body won't let go of the water till it feels 'hydrated' again.

I may be talking a pile of bollocks of course...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.