My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Alice bands with big teeth? Other ways to tame a currently being grown out fringe

11 replies

littleducks · 09/04/2012 13:18

DD is growing out her fringe, it is leading to arguments and tantrums.How can I clip her hair out of her eyes? Everything seems to last five minutes, then has to be fiddled with irritating her and driving me mad.

I put oil in her hair which has meant it is slightly easier to tame.

I remember having alice bands with long teeth as a child, they dont seem to sell them anymore, all the ones in the shops have tiny teeth and dont work.

What were those full circle plastic bands with teeth called? Can't find those either?

OP posts:
HeidiHole · 09/04/2012 13:21

I was going to say I think even if DD has big teeth she can still wear Alice bands...they'll look OK... but I see thats not what you meant! :)

lulahrose · 09/04/2012 19:10

Two french plaits at the hairline? Like this?

hormonesnomore · 09/04/2012 19:30

Oh I see....... I thought big teeth? poor child

Anyway, what about a soft stretchy hairband? Surely that would stay in better and be more comfortable?

ElphabaisWicked · 09/04/2012 19:44

I have some cheap black plastic ones. Dd loves them and they do keep her hair right back but she nicked them from a pack I bought from a trade dance supply catalogue. Never seen them anywhere else

iklboo · 09/04/2012 19:58

I thought 'why can't you wear an Alice band when you've got big teeth?' as well Blush

FoofFighter · 09/04/2012 20:01

Claire;s sell those all the way round ones.

scotsgirl23 · 09/04/2012 20:53

<a class="break-all" href="http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/EllaPretty/hair/jennifer-aniston-lg.jpg&imgrefurl=ellaprettyblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/braided-hairstyles-and-sephora-headband.html&h=325&w=325&sz=21&tbnid=USea7MFzY9poYM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=104&zoom=1&docid=0ocd8q5yyRqpHM&sa=X&ei=1D2DT6vvCoaW0QXl88yRBw&ved=0CC0Q9QEwAA&dur=1157" rel="nofollow noindex" target="_blank">link

I do something like this when my fringe is getting too long and driving my crazy. You can just do a little one like this with the hair down, or sometime i continue this one right round to the back of my hairline, do the same at the other side, and then put a 3rd one down the centre. I then gather up the hair at the back and put it in to a bun.

littleducks · 09/04/2012 21:04

I might try the French plait thing but tvh she isn't great at sitting still and her hair is not the type to stay in anything for long.

She has lots of soft bands but they slip straight off. So I definitely need something that grips. I have tried Claire's and asked staff with no success, the def used to sell them in bow bangles Sad

OP posts:
FoofFighter · 09/04/2012 21:46

Try Superdrug for them, or poundland

returnvisit · 09/04/2012 22:02

What about some nice kirby grips to hold the fringe back or some of them mini grips with interlocking teeth to hold the fringe back ? you could twist the hair and then then pin it back in sections .

BehindLockNumberNine · 09/04/2012 22:10

If the soft bands slide right off, are they too big?

Dd is also in the throws of fringe-growing-out-hell. She wears those soft scarf type hairbands that seem to cover most of her head - not much worry regarding slipping off or fringe escaping.

have also found crocodile clips better than slide in ones - the slide in ones slide out just as easily but the crocodile type clips seem to 'bite' well and stay in better.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.