My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Dreading the summer...

15 replies

teenyweenytadpole · 06/04/2012 22:24

Please help a depressed 40-something who hates summer dressing. I like autumn and spring, I can wear a nice coat or jacket, boots, scarves and things like that. I never know what to wear for the warmer weather. I have big norks (so nothing sleeveless or low cut), psoriasis on my elbows (so no short sleeves), varicose veins (so nothing too short). I am also a bit overweight (size 16 and 5 foot 4) although I am doing my best with that (already lost a stone). I need casual clothes that don't look too mumsy or too formal. I want to look funky without being too overdone. Dresses and heels are too, well, dressy. I have been looking for a nice lightweight casual blazer to wear with jeans or trousers, can't find one anywhere. Have also been looking for casual dresses but all the shops seem full of quite structured/formal types of things. Any suggestions oh wise ones???

OP posts:
whitelillies · 06/04/2012 23:35

I saw blazers in h and m and Zara today. There was a nice pink one in h and m,
What about a jersey ish long skirt and some t shirts with gladiator sandals or ballerina shoes?
Can't remember where I saw nice skirts but there s a few around - maybe it was hush or mint velvet ? , you could get t shirts or tops w sheer sleeves ( warehouse have some) or maybe gap?

concretefeet · 07/04/2012 01:54

I agree zara and h &m good for blazers. I have just got these from monsoon and they are stretchy material. I will wear with flats and summer scalf. How about great plains for dresses?

ForwardOcho · 07/04/2012 08:02

Depends on your style really. Uniqlo have jersey blazers - push up the sleeves. You could try a block colour maxi skirt, there are quite a few around, and a denim jacket would look good with that. Belts, worn under jackets give a pulled together look. Personally, I would avoid anything linen, crumpled, slubbed or printed, as this can look mumsy, but you may love that kind of thing.

ooer · 07/04/2012 09:49

I also am large of nork and find Zara a bit nippit in that department. An XL was still too small and I am "only" a 30F.

Would you wear this season's bright colours? M and Co: this jacket

I wear a lot of cardis in summer when a jacket seems too formal.

talkingnonsense · 07/04/2012 09:55

White stuff can be mumsy and poor quality, BUT, they often have 3/4 length sleeved tops, are quite generously sized on skirts and trousers, and it's easy to buy a whole outfit. You might have to size up for norms though.

talkingnonsense · 07/04/2012 09:55

Norks! Not norms!

teenyweenytadpole · 07/04/2012 17:59

Hi all thanks for ideas, I love the M&Co blazer but had in my mind that I wanted a navy one to wear with bright blue or bright green jeans, maybe I should do the bright blue jacket with denim or white jeans instead. I hadn't thought of a longer skirt but quite like the idea of the denim jacket with one, will give it a try. I like the grey DP dress but that feels like a "going out" dress to me rather than a day dress. I lead quite a rural sort of life so jeans and wellies are more common round these parts than dresses! Thanks - keep the suggestions coming!

OP posts:
Panzee · 07/04/2012 18:07

My winter wardrobe is black boots, leggings and dress. This week I have bought some lighter coloured dresses and tan boots. That's what I'm wearing this summer. :)

Dollydowser · 08/04/2012 09:23

Zara and H&M blazers didn't fit over my norks, sorry to say.

anniewoo · 08/04/2012 09:30

Zara sizing- AGAIN grrr. I love their clothes though. Just can't fit into them Sad

teenyweenytadpole · 10/04/2012 12:59

Same problem here with H&M, made for skinny young things I think.

OP posts:
dexter73 · 10/04/2012 13:33

You can wear dresses in the outdoors too! I can often be found walking the dog in mud, climbing over fences etc. in a dress and wellies!

Iatemyskinnyperson · 10/04/2012 17:15

I have copious norkage too, and find summer a bit of a faff. Lovely summer dresses look cheap when your boobs are spilling out of them, and bigger sized bras are generally too ugly to risk a strap showing - so thats anything spaghetti-strapped out.

I tend wear blouses with nice cardis over and straight leg trousers. You know those blouses that are shaped like T-shirts?? I can never think how to describe them. They are flattering and age appropriate, and the cardi over slims down the boobage.

HTH

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.