My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

New job as a teaching assistant. Help me buy my work wardrobe

13 replies

LalasMama · 04/04/2012 20:41

I start straight after Easter :) In a comprehensive school.
Not sure what I should wear.
I'm 21, a size 12-14, 5ft 11 and very much a pear.
I usually shop in places like dp, new look, warehouse etc.

TIA

:)

OP posts:
Gapants · 04/04/2012 20:52

Congratulations!

You will be moving about a lot, from classroom to classroom, sitting on chairs and high stools, and the floor at times. You will be exposed to lots of potentially dirty/messy activities.

I would work the following--
Shoes- ballet flats, espadrils, flat wedge sandles with an ankle strap
Bottoms- Skinny flared trousers- dark indigo denim, navy/grey chino material,
Tops- vests, with silky voluminous tailored shirts over the top like this one
Smart blazer/jacket- this one but in a darker colour

You are young, so keep your look trendy and young, but I would say dress a bit smart as then you will be taken more seriously by the young people.

blueemerald · 04/04/2012 22:28

The advice above is very good. I would also recommend getting/wearing some nice (whatever your definition of nice is) jewellery and/or hairbands etc because the girls will like them and therefore you more. Sad perhaps but true and helps kick start a bond/relationship.

LalasMama · 04/04/2012 22:35

Ooooh I love that shirt! Already have a blazer like that one Smile
Bought some nice jewellery today - didn't think about hair bands etc. will look tomorrow. I have a small tattoo on my foot, should I keep it covered do you think?

OP posts:
kittencuddles · 05/04/2012 08:35

Some schools would ask you to cover tattoos, others wouldn't. Speak to a member of the leadership team.

I'm a teacher and always do the boob and bum test when buying- if i lean over will they see too much?? Have to remember they will expect professional attire.

I'm always more comfy in dresses with tights and cardis but I think that's a personal preference.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Whateveryousaymustberight · 05/04/2012 17:01

I would recommend enclosed shoes; it hurts like a bugger when kids rock on their chairs and put it down on your toe, or when they step on your bare tootsies. It also looks more professional.

Hulababy · 05/04/2012 17:03

Secondary school as opposed to primary?

MsNorbury · 05/04/2012 17:22

lol @"work the following"

Bramshott · 05/04/2012 17:28

The TAs at my DDs primary school the other day were discussing the necessity of wearing close-fitting vest tops under normal tops so they didn't flash too much at the kids when bending over!

MedusaIsHavingABadHairDay · 05/04/2012 21:02

I would definitely have closed shoes... I'm a TA and yes those school chairs REALLY hurt when they come down on your feet (it does happen fairly often!)
No cleavage on view ..especially with teens!!

I tend to wear trousers and comfy shirts.. skinny style and boots with a tunic top suit most days. Wear washable.. even with teens you can get surprisingly mucky and if you are ever in Art... avoid blue or purple paint. It doesn't come out no matter what it says about being washable!

Enjoy your new job.. being a TA is fun!

drywhiteplease · 06/04/2012 15:30

I am in exactly the same position as you.start after Easter break. I have bough
www.warehouse.co.uk/a-line-belted-skirt/Skirts/warehouse/fcp-product/307585skirt
Longer on me as I'm short.
www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=1756194&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208657&parent_categoryId=208600&pageSize=200trousers.washable
I also have an old blk jersey wrap dress from H and M which I wear with vest tops under.
I will wear all with opaque tights/footless tights, ballerinas in a variety of colours and bright fitted cardigans (slightly addicted) from H and M, Matalan etc. my thing is to buy washable and cheap as I don't want to trash my best stuff.
Good luck.!!

CeliaFate · 06/04/2012 15:48

Definitely wear clothes that cover you - the TAs in the primary school in which I taught often flashed their enormous cleavage or when bending down, revealed their lacy, red g-strings because their trousers were so low cut. Shock. I daren't imagine what the response would have been in a secondary school!

hockeyforjockeys · 06/04/2012 16:53

Number one tip would be to make sure your trousers cover your arse when bending over, sitting on the floor etc. Test it in the changing rooms by sitting cross legged and squatting. I'm pear shaped and find that trousers tend to 'ride down' when I do this so always need to check!

The other way round this is to wear tunic/dress type tops, I always do this for one pair of very comfy but troublesome trousers.

lurkinginthebackground · 06/04/2012 18:28

I second the advice about not revealing too much flesh.

Smart trousers and a good blouse or long tunic top and leggings.
Buy some thin cardis as it can vary in temperature from classroom to classroom too.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.