My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Dressing for Ascot

15 replies

Backinthebox · 26/03/2012 21:15

I'm not the owner of one of the actual racehorses, but my little horse will be in a reasonably starring role at the Ascot Countryside Race Day on 1st April. I won't be riding him, (I'd know exactly what to wear for that scenario!) but will be in the Premier Stand watching him strut his stuff down the racecourse. What on earth do I wear for that kind of situation? I don't want anything formal suit-like, and nothing too informal either. I'm a size 14, 5'7" redhead. Help! My wardrobe consists of jodhpurs, my work uniform, jeans, and a slightly alarming White Stuff sundress habit (they screw up into really tiny balls to go in a suitcase when I am working away from home in hot weather, in my defence!) I think I will need to go shopping...

OP posts:
amothersplaceisinthewrong · 26/03/2012 21:16

Dress and jacket/pashmina?

drywhiteplease · 26/03/2012 21:34

Budget?

Backinthebox · 26/03/2012 21:38

Budget = less than £100 for whole outfit. I spend far too much money on horses to be able to afford really nice clothes Grin

OP posts:
drywhiteplease · 26/03/2012 22:03

Sorry how old are you?fav colours?

PastGrace · 26/03/2012 22:21

I would go for something like this dress with a pashmina and some shoes. I'm sure TK Maxx will sort you out for both of those if you don't have them.

Do you want a hat? You don't need one, unless you are in the Royal Enclosure, but there will probably be lots around.

Backinthebox · 26/03/2012 22:25

Late 30s. I have a fondness for green. Yellow and pink do nothing for me, but otherwise all colours are fair game.

OP posts:
drywhiteplease · 27/03/2012 15:36

backinthebox
Here you go
navy dress

3/4 sleeve means you won't need a cover up....and it's a fab dress you could use again and again

Put with nude shoes and bag for classic look( need links?) or brights for more funky.
Get some costume jewellery.

My life long ambition to go to Ascot....need a maid?

drywhiteplease · 27/03/2012 15:37

backinthebox
Here you go
navy dress

3/4 sleeve means you won't need a cover up....and it's a fab dress you could use again and again

Put with nude shoes and bag for classic look( need links?) or brights for more funky.
Get some costume jewellery.

My life long ambition to go to Ascot....need a maid?

drywhiteplease · 27/03/2012 15:37

Oops

drywhiteplease · 27/03/2012 15:39

There is a site that has been mentioned on s and b that does a dress v similar to k middle tons blue Issa wrap engagement one...but I can't remember the name

drywhiteplease · 27/03/2012 22:09

How about this,just seen on another thread
green,nice shoes

EnjoyResponsibly · 27/03/2012 22:33

Wear wedge heels, nothing more uncool than careering off heels after a few glasses of Pimms sinking in the grass.

Avoid a pashmina at Ascot, too breezy and you'll spend all day juggling around with it.

You will need a hat. Recommend hiring after you get your dress.

Backinthebox · 27/03/2012 23:06

Love the green dress!

Am off shopping tomorrow, with a few ideas now. Thanks!

OP posts:
Backinthebox · 29/03/2012 20:57

Here's what I bought in the end - dress + jacket + hat

A bit pricier than I was going to buy but it's classic and I can already think of other occasions when I will wear it!

OP posts:
drywhiteplease · 30/03/2012 20:05

Thought your budget was £100!!!!!! Nice !hope you win

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.