My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

What is a normal price for quality jeans?

6 replies

ragged · 24/03/2012 19:34

I buy most clothes in charity shops or jumble sales.
Promotion in shopping centre soon called Jeans Genie or some such; anyway, they measure you up and recommend which style/brands/makes will fit you best. With examples there to buy on the spot, I presume.

I am a traditional hourglass & most jeans are too big in the waist (& still fit my hips), and low-slung doesn't suit me either my pants shouldn't be revealed in public. Would be nice to know what brands/cuts to look for & buy it on Ebay in future, rather than continued hit & miss fit in charity shops.

I presume I wouldn't get away with paying £3.50 if I bought from the JG folk, though, and their advert lists jeans at £75-£100 Shock, so presumably they think those are bargain prices Confused. What would be reasonable to pay for new quality?

OP posts:
AKissIsNotAContract · 24/03/2012 19:37

Jeans vary hugely in price. My favourites are Paige which are about £200. I would have thought you could get a decent pair for far less though.

PrimaBallerina · 24/03/2012 20:16

I've never had a problem with my Topshop jeans falling apart and they're about £40. I believe they do a style called 'Kirsten', which is high waisted and skinny but I haven't tried them. How about the Levis Curve range, which has oft been raved about on here?

celticlassie · 24/03/2012 21:55

I tend to think that between 40 and 60 pounds should get you good quality. I often buy cheaper ones from H&M or New Look (£20-ish), but when I've spent a bit extra you can tell the difference. (Have also spent £130 on Diesel ones, which I loved, but definitely didn't feel they were worth £130!)

ragged · 25/03/2012 10:36

£200 Shock
yes Levi survey range might be just right. Then again so might £5 jobs from Asda. I guess that's why I was going to go to the Jean Genie people. Trying to save time spent trekking around to find out what nobody has in stock, anyway.

I never have a problem with my random charity shop buys falling apart, either. Not before they've taken hefty abuse, anyway.

Okay, so I will spending up to £40 on the spot if I really like the items on offer. No more. :) Search online otherwise.

OP posts:
LucyManga · 25/03/2012 11:40

I went through a 7 jeans phase and was happy to pay £150 and up. But I have been converted to Topshop Baxters, which are £30, last for years and are no different (imo) to 7s. Try lots of different brands on and buy the ones you love. Better to have one pair of jeans you feel great in than 5 pairs you are so-so about.

ragged · 14/04/2012 17:32

WELL I went to the Jeans Genie people today.
She declared me a "pear" (I have the same measurements as a young Sophia Loren, so guess she was a pear, too).
The jeans she recommended were the sort that look dirty the moment you get anything at all on them, not sure that's practical. The Stylist (yes, I had a stylist, you can ROFL now!) kept saying "These will be nice to wear on an evening out." (er yeah, right, like I ever do them. Confused.)

Kept offering pairs out that were quite low waisted; I know it's fashionable, but even the stylist observed they all give me Muffin Top. How can that be good? In spite of having a 28" waist (actually, told I needed to buy 26" waist in jeans). Leaving aside how big they made my thighs look (still insisting I could wear any pair I liked due to good figure, etc.) Is it fashionable to make one's fat thighs obvious?

Later I tried some on in Gap which fit nicely but stopped 4 inches below my belly button, the lowest rise jeans I'd tried on all day. Sales assistant expressed Shock saying they were a "mid rise" cut. So mid-rise is barely above my (already low rise pants). Do I have abnormal anatomy? Must ask in a moment...

So am back on the hunt for "high rise curvy" jeans. Abundantly clear that there are few on the market. Sigh. Any suggestions? I'm looking at Khloe Kardasian.

Stylist did talk me into boot cut being ok, though.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.