My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

help to buy dress for non dress wearer

5 replies

yehudiwho · 24/03/2012 18:13

I am in my late 40's and never (no I really mean never) wear dresses and need one for a christening where I will be godmother. I never dress up -jeans and t shirts only.
I am a size 16-18 on top and a 14 bottom -somewhat of a tummy and big boobs-
FIND ME A DRESS which I will feel comfortable in but smart enough for a christening

OP posts:
faeriefruitcake · 24/03/2012 21:33

I'm also a non dress wearer but I found a nice one for a do here

southeastastra · 24/03/2012 21:37

i have isabella oliver wrap dress and don't wear dresses usually, same size as you \link{http://www.isabellaoliver.com/uk/600/dresses/DR432.html\here}

SilkStalkings · 24/03/2012 21:40

Tip for getting into dresses is to get some cheap leggings and wear them underneath, scruff it down a bit while you get get used to the idea. Spring is exactly the right time of year for this and sandal-weather soon. You need to practise, gather evidence that people won't be laughing/pointing/noticing etc.

SilkStalkings · 24/03/2012 21:41

Or if you could chicken out you could get a nice 'Le Smoking' suit a la Marlene Dietrich and really work the fact you don't wear dresses.

yehudiwho · 24/03/2012 21:45

I do like your idea of practising -and thanks for all the links - i wore a wrap dress for my brothers wedding 5 years ago. it looked ok but split under the arm on the way to the reception ! not the best confidence builder when I never wear the bastards

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.