My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Never ending spot

23 replies

brighthair · 22/03/2012 20:33

What else can I put on it? It has been sat there for 6 weeks driving me mad. It has popped once (sorry for tmi) and is now just surrounded by flaking skin
Have tried sudocrem and freederm. Also have some quinoderm but reluctant to use as it makes my skin peel off!

OP posts:
DrSeuss · 22/03/2012 20:59

Tea tree oil? Witch hazel?

brighthair · 22/03/2012 21:02

Don't have them in but could get some
I have the liz Earle spot treatment? Think that might have some in ...

OP posts:
HettyKett · 22/03/2012 21:04

Gently remove the flaky skin and put toothpaste on in overnight. LE spot treatment after that.

lilolilmanchester · 22/03/2012 21:13

well, this stinks but it works.... rub the cut end of a clove of garlic. . My DD read about it in a teen beauty book, tried it and swears by it. Apply the garlic before going to bed.

When I was a teenager, I used to put my Dad's aftershave on spots and that did the job too.

PooPooInMyToes · 22/03/2012 21:16

Wow that's a long time to have a spot. Perhaps see the Dr? In case its a boil or something else?

brighthair · 22/03/2012 21:35

Definitely a spot
Squeamish look away now Blush
Its not very raised but big as in it covers a large area? I squeezed it and it literally exploded.
Can still feel and see it, plus another one is coming up next to it. When I get them at the moment they last ages and leave red marks for a while too. It's on my chin and I think it's hormonal as have come off pill 3 months ago

OP posts:
tethersend · 22/03/2012 21:35

Agree with Poo- get it checked out with a doctor.

My mum had this and it turned out to be skin cancer- benign, easily treated and removed, but worth checking out just in case.

tethersend · 22/03/2012 21:35

Could also be a cyst. Get doc to have a look.

brighthair · 22/03/2012 21:39

I will - I need an appointment next week about my periods anyway so will give it until then. It just seems when I get them they are red and sore for ages, come to a head, then burst but then I get another almost in the same place

OP posts:
PooPooInMyToes · 22/03/2012 22:00

Some sort of skin infection type thingy?

ChocolateDippedSproutHater · 22/03/2012 23:44

I too have 'hormonal last forever spots'....I put Savlon or Germalene on them, which seems to be more effective than Clearasil, witch hazel, etc.

LtheWife · 23/03/2012 09:52

For years I battled with really nasty spots that kept reoccurring in the same place and would take forever to heal and tried pretty much everything known to man. The usual on the spot type treatments, stronger pharmacy only stuff, glycolic peels, topical treatments and antibiotics from GP, you name it, I've tried it. As a last ditch attempt before being referred for roaccutane I bought an at home combined salicylic and lactic acid peel and for the first time since hitting puberty I've been pretty much spot free for months!

I now do the peel once a week (salicylic peels are much more effective as they are lipid soluble so can penetrate deeper into the pores to clean them out more effectively and are also anti inflammatory) and on the now rare occasion a spot does start to form I slather it in freederm every few hours as soon as I notice the spot (freederm because it contains nicotinamide to keep the inflammation at bay).

That routine has completely got rid of all the particularly nasty reoccurring/long lasting spots, dramatically reduced the formation of new spots and as a bonus improved my general skin tone and reduced the appearance of pores. I get the tiniest amount of flaking around 3 days after the peel, but nothing that a gentle exfoliation and moisturiser doesn't sort out. As I say, it was a last ditch attempt, I wasn't expecting miracles but I seem to have got one!

PooPooInMyToes · 23/03/2012 10:16

Ooh what is this peel thing? Have you got a link?

HipHopOpotomus · 23/03/2012 11:10

I've had spots like that that have been on & off for years. Def think they are hormonal. They have now stopped pretty much since I've had the Merina Coil - about 8 months.

LtheWife · 23/03/2012 11:33

The peel I bought is just a cheap one from eBay (Forever Young I believe), but if you've seen the thread about the at home 30% GA peel they do a salicylic peel too. Glycolic is great at surface problems but because it's water soluble it has more difficultly penetrating through the oily gunk that gets trapped in the pores and causes spots, that's where salicylic acid comes in to it's own. Glycolic CAN help as it gets rid of the dead skin that has capped off the pore, but salicylic does that AND helps get rid of the gunk that's been trapped inside.

LtheWife · 23/03/2012 11:38

Just to add though, salicylic peels aren't suitable for those allergic to asprin and shouldn't be used in pregnancy. It is great at fighting spots though which is why it's the main ingredient in lots of spot creams, face washes etc but it's MUCH more effective as a peel.

PooPooInMyToes · 23/03/2012 12:02

Sorry can you explain which one is actually best? Got a bit confused.

LtheWife · 23/03/2012 12:20

For spots/stubborn blackheads/acne etc salicylic acid is more effective. Brand is pretty much irrelevant as the peels don't contain other filler ingredients so they're all pretty much the same (some people just feel safer with a brand name). If your skin isn't used to acid peels start off with a low concentration and work your way up if you need to. And don't forget, with ANY acid peel you should wear sunscreen.

Buddhastic · 23/03/2012 15:15

sudocreme

brighthair · 23/03/2012 15:42

Well it is smaller today. It burst (again) last night and I slathered it with quinoderm

OP posts:
valiumredhead · 23/03/2012 15:54

Blast it with neat TCP - that stuff is ace for anything icky!

PigletJohn · 23/03/2012 16:04

A dab of Teenager Zit gel will do it.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

pluckingupcourage · 23/03/2012 16:45

freederm is great - I also get deep and unpleasant hormonal spots

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.