My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Converse trainers/hi-tops - tell me what to do!

25 replies

LumpyLatimer · 22/03/2012 07:54

Here's my dilemma.

I'm 33. I'm tall and plump (16/18). I wear vintage dresses, vintage skirts and little sweaters or cardigans. Skirts and dresses either midi or long. Never ever ever wear trousers or jeans. General look pretty much what you'd expect from a youngish East London arty type (though not as cool or attractive as that sounds, sadly!)

I walk a LOT and need some casual shoes. Unless I'm wearing heels i'm in little studded brown ankle boots, but I want something more relaxed/flat.

How would Cons - either trainers or hi-tops - look, d'you think? Is it The Done Thing? I'M ALL IN A QUANDRY.

I should add that I'm wretchedly pear-shaped with truly horrific legs, so I'm concerned that stumpy fat legs in a long fullish midi skirt with dead flat Cons underneath would be literally the least flattering look known to man, but I can't think of an alternative Sad

OP posts:
BikeRunSki · 22/03/2012 08:13

I think it would be fine. Think Lilly Allen circa 2002.

LumpyLatimer · 22/03/2012 08:18

D'you think

See at the time she was a tiny young popstrel and I am strapping tired geek...

OP posts:
LumpyLatimer · 22/03/2012 08:19

Actually the more I think of it the more the problem is the size of my legs than the actual shoe IYSWIM. Cons are awfully unforgiving on the stout of calf/thigh...

I wonder if there is another flattish trainer that's a bit more sturdy than Cons?? Anyone think of anything?

OP posts:
monkeysmama · 22/03/2012 08:20

Hightops are "in" this season. I find Superga a lot more flattering than Converse. You could try ballet flats or slippers? I have some leopard slippers I wear loads. There are some lovely summer weight & colour brogues around atm.

LumpyLatimer · 22/03/2012 08:23

Oh I like the look of those Superga hi-tops - I wonder how easy they are to get hold of. They have a much sturdier sole than Cons...

I secretly adore 80s revival Nike hi-tops but I really don't think they'd go with my embroidered calf-length 50s skirts Grin

I def. can't wear ballet flats or slippers - really, really unflattering on my massive California redwood legs, and also, I walk literally miles most days and the last time I wore ballet flats I had such bad ankle pains I spent an entire summer resting my achilles tendons on packs of frozen peas!

OP posts:
VivaLeBeaver · 22/03/2012 08:23

I think Converse are ok with jeans but I wouldn't wear them with skirts/dresses. I'd look for ballet pumps/other comfy flats.

LumpyLatimer · 22/03/2012 08:27

The thing is, when you only ever wear skirts it's really hard to look casual or relaxed ever. I really do like the contrast between feminine clothes and more boyish accessories/shoes (which is why I like vintage dresses and boyish boots). If I wear ballet pumps not only would I have crippled ankles I'd still look really overly feminine, you know?

Bah. It's a dilemma.

OP posts:
LumpyLatimer · 22/03/2012 08:31

Har har, I googled 'hi tops skirts' hoping to find something chic on a streetstyle blog and this came up Grin

OP posts:
BikeRunSki · 22/03/2012 08:32

PF Flyers sturdier than Cons. Fitflop sneakers too, but quite manly.

worldgonecrazy · 22/03/2012 08:45

I think loafer styles are quite big this year, would they fit the bill?

MsNorbury · 22/03/2012 08:46

Dont wear them with skinnies unless you are tiny with tiny feet

#clownfeet

LumpyLatimer · 22/03/2012 08:53

O I like those PF flyers!

I do adore loafers and have been thinking about getting some since my last pair wore out - but it's still not as casual as I'd like...but yeah good idea, might do some Googling!

MsNorbury I agree - and the word 'skinnies' in the context of any thread started by me is so funny I could hurl

OP posts:
pictish · 22/03/2012 08:58

If your legs are chunky then go for Converse Lo rather than the high tops. High tops will cut you off blunty at the ankle and make your legs look stumpy.
The trainers show off your ankles and elongate the leg and add femininity.

Speaking from chunky legged experience. I wear Lo.

LumpyLatimer · 22/03/2012 09:15

I think you're right Pictish...and maybe not necessarily Cons but something a bit chunkier, like me legs Grin

Gawd, what a minefield.

OP posts:
AmberNectarine · 22/03/2012 09:21

Supergas all the way. I have several pairs and they are great, plus they have an old school vibe to them which I think would suit your look.

Hedgepig · 22/03/2012 09:24

what about something like this Lumpy
ecco I find this make very good for arch support if i'm doing a lot of walking I think Clarks do similar things . Or are they too twee?

MargueritaaPracatan · 22/03/2012 09:25

Silver kurt geiger's? A bit funky and fun for Spring. Can't link because my lappy is playing up!

pictish · 22/03/2012 09:26

I tried these last year and they were great. Didn't last as long as Cons though.

LumpyLatimer · 22/03/2012 09:43

You're all so helpful, thanks!

Hedge I'm a big fan of ecco and have a pair somewhere for proper proper walking, but I want something that is also a bit cool

OP posts:
noddyholder · 22/03/2012 09:57

I still love my converse and springcourts. I wear with skinnies but small feet.

MargueritaaPracatan · 22/03/2012 10:05

I wear mine with all colours, Lumpy, I think they're v versatile!

Apoundinatin · 22/03/2012 12:33

I have a pair of converse. I hate them with a passion. Really uncomfortable. The soles are too thin, so they really hurt your feet. I wouldn't recommend them for walking long distances, you need something with a bit more bounce.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

QueenCadbury · 22/03/2012 13:41

Office have got some converse exclusive to them which they call dance shoes which would probably go with skirts ( well so I'm hoping!). I do find my converse comfy but I am a bit worried about this dance style as will not have socks on so worried they may rub...

issimma · 22/03/2012 18:29

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LumpyLatimer · 22/03/2012 18:41

Right thanks all for your help - it really did set me thinking about different types of trainers. Bearing in mind Apound's point about thin soles/needing bounce (something I have experienced with Cons before) I went for a pair of Nike Air Force 1s in dark blue suede. They're incredibly comfortable and supportive and DP noticed that my ankles weren't turning in like they usually do. Wore them all day today including a long walk and they've been fine.

Still crave a pair of hi-tops but they really do look idiotic unless you have gazelle like legs and/or are 17, so alas I think they will never be mine...

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.