My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Oil control method gurus - what is the best mix for acne-prone but dry skin?

15 replies

OovoofWelcome · 17/03/2012 21:20

Hi,

I delight in having blocked pores and the occasional smattering of minor spots, and surface dryness. Niiiiice Grin

I always seem to look a bit dehydrated but when I ramp up the moisturising I get zitty/zittier. From what I've read on mn the ocm method sounds fantastic but I really don't know where to start in terms of choosing which oils to use. Can anyone advise me?

Also, there tends to be an oily breakout as the skin rids itself of gunk, right? How long does that bit last?

I know there have been loads of ocm threads so TIA Thanks

OP posts:
CozIAmMumAndISaidSo · 17/03/2012 21:25

My skin sounds exactly like yours.

I tried the OCM method today with EVOO and I ended up with more spots and still dry skin.

I posted on another OCM thread earlier and was advised to use Almond oil instead so I'm going to try that.

I think it's just a case of experimenting with different oils/ratios until you find one that's right for you.

SundaeGirl · 17/03/2012 22:49

I have skin exactly like you describe.

I use Shu Umuera Cleansing Oil - it's amazing stuff cleans skins properly but no oil stripping. I really recommend getting a couple of sample of it.

I ran out recently and it reminded me just how brilliant the stuff is as my spots came back, skin felt oily, felt dry...

OovoofWelcome · 18/03/2012 07:51

Coz thanks - almond oil sounds good. Do you use it alone or in another 'carrier' oil?

sundae that sounds lovely too. What do you use to moisturise afterwards, or don't you need it?

Anyone have any thoughts about what to do about sunblock if you are using ocm?

OP posts:
SundaeGirl · 18/03/2012 13:42

I do moisturise afterwards as well - at the moment I'm using Neal's Yard Rose cream which came free with a magazine.

I didn't have a zit breakout with the OCM but I never used the hardcore oils some people recommend, I've just tried the beauty ones over the counter. I use in conjunction with hot cloth cleansing method (warm flannel, that is!).

valiumredhead · 18/03/2012 15:45

Almond - on its own and remove with a hot muslin cloth. I found castor oil very very harsh and it irritated my skin, almond it fab though and still gets all the nasties out!

cybbo · 18/03/2012 15:54

Have you tried the double cleansing method Oovoo? Has cleaned my blocked and giant pores COMPLETELY

OovoofWelcome · 18/03/2012 20:10

Thanks valium, almond oil all the way it is then!

cybbo what is this fabled double cleansing method you speak of? I must know! Could it be.....doing the ocm and hot cloth process twice?! Grin Whatever it is, tell me how to do it and I will try it! My pores annoy me.

OP posts:
cybbo · 18/03/2012 22:13

Its taking your make up off first- then really cleaning your skin a second time. it does work- my skin ahs looked miles better since I've been doing it. I woudl normally have stopped after step one and always had blocked pores

I use Dermalogica Skin resurfacing Cleanser and No 7 hot cloth, has to be gentle or strips everything!

valiumredhead · 19/03/2012 12:49

Oh I double cleanse - I didn't know it was an actual method and had a name! Grin

OovoofWelcome · 20/03/2012 15:43

valium where do you buy your almond oil, and do you just use a flannel? And cleanse twice in the same way?

OP posts:
valiumredhead · 20/03/2012 15:58

I use Holland and Barret almond oil.

I take of eye make up with OIl of Olay cream cleanser and warm muslin cloth - I use Liz Earle ones.

Then massage almod oil into face - sometimes for a minute sometimes for 10 depending on time - wipe off with warm muslin.

valiumredhead · 20/03/2012 15:59

A flannel is fine but I like the exoliating properties of the muslin cloth.

OovoofWelcome · 20/03/2012 16:15

Thanks! I'm going to start this once I've gathered all the essentials Smile

OP posts:
NotInTheMood · 20/03/2012 16:36

witch hazel £2 from the chemist and it is fantastic for cleansing and toning best thing ever! I then use simple light hydrating moisturise.

OovoofWelcome · 27/03/2012 22:26

Slight update. Today I started using almond oil - double cleansed with it this morning.

By late afternoon I had erupted in zits Confused

Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration. But my skin feels oily and what may have been tiny imperceptible blemishes have developed into little spots.

Seems a bit soon for toxins working their way out - have I just got the wrong oil?

I used cloth and hot water lots to remove it....

Have done it again tonight because it just seems daft to immediately abandon the experiment but am not happy with the state of my face!

Help?!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.