My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

How long do your clothes stay clean?

16 replies

hazchem · 14/03/2012 16:48

Ok maybe this should be in Good HOusekeeping but...

so I have a 1 year old. Pre DS I could wear a pair of trousers for several days. Jumpers for quite a few. Now it feels like as soon as i put something on it's grubby. Has yogurt or snot or sneeze or sauce or crumbs.
I'm really trying to make an effort to wear nice outfits as I feel better when I look nice.
So how long do you manage to stay looking clean with small children around?

Am i doing the parenting thing wrong?

OP posts:
HettyKett · 14/03/2012 16:50

One word: Apron.

charlottery · 14/03/2012 16:51

About 2 minutes here, especially with dd2 and her current cold - I am a heap. Hoping for longer when I'm back at work

bamboobutton · 14/03/2012 16:53

about 5 minutes. it's usually grubby marks on the back of my trousers from dd constantly hanging off my leg.

toddlerama · 14/03/2012 16:53

I have a cousin with two small boys who always looks immaculate. I exploded with indignation one day and demanded to know her secrets...

Basically she wears sweatpants and old t-shirts all day and changes last minute before leaving the house for anything or having anyone over. So simple when you have it explained...except I run out of time to change so I've given up on it and just get snot on my normal clothes. Babywipes help.

Alibabaandthe40nappies · 14/03/2012 16:53

No you are doing it right IMO. I have a toddler and an almost 1 year old, and clothes do get grubby really fast.

I have 3 pairs of jeans all the same and 10 tops of various kinds that are my 'uniform' for want of a better word. If one half of me gets dirty I can sub in a clean item without needing to change my whole outfit/shoes/etc.

I do wear nicer clothes if we are meeting friends for lunch, or visiting family or whatever, but for a standard 'at home' day, with preschool run, errands to do, housework, meals, coffee with a friend, then I stick to my 'uniform'.

toddlerama · 14/03/2012 16:54

To answer the question properly, usually get porridged by about 7.40. If I try to get dressed after breakfast the judgey smirker of a postman catches me without fail.

CarpeJugulum · 14/03/2012 16:57

My DS is 17mo and I share your pain.

I must confess to wearing a crappy pair of sweat pants in the house with a polo shirt - and then "glamming up" when we go out in the afternoon (DS usually naps 10-12 so afternoon is meet ups and play time).

DH does much the same when he's on DS duty.

Snot and weetabix mix takes weeks to wash out!

HotBurrito1 · 14/03/2012 16:57

I know what you mean, I bought a lovely cream cardigan, which looks lovely for around one day before it goes in the machine. Might get a beige one next time...

Frontpaw · 14/03/2012 16:57

One hour. Literally. That is the time between the cleaner leaving and DS getting home from school.

DonaAna · 14/03/2012 16:58

Will answer you right away, will just need to remove the snot from my sleeve first.

Frontpaw · 14/03/2012 16:59

Ok so that was the house. Clothes... Not very long. I am a messy madam and always have chocolate stains on me, which is why I never every wear white or light colours.

charlottery · 14/03/2012 17:03

Snot + Weetabix could be used for house building I think - sets solid

CarpeJugulum · 14/03/2012 17:07

Ooh charlottery - we may just have designed a new Eco building product... Wink

hazchem · 15/03/2012 08:00

Oh I feel so much better!

I'm liking the apron idea. I would love to change before leaving the house but just know I'm far to lazy to do this.
How ever the uniform thing might work but I might try to call it a capsule wardrobe.

Right Weetabix time! Save me from the cementGrin

OP posts:
starfishmummy · 15/03/2012 08:20

I go for the apron thing too. Feel like my Mum, who used to wear a nylon overall most of the time (even when we were grown up) to keep her clothes clean.

monkeysmama · 15/03/2012 08:43

I have house clothes. I wear tracksuit bottoms and a vest in the house and get dressed when we are going out.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.