My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Gok made in china

12 replies

gregssausageroll · 07/03/2012 20:24

Very interesting. Looking at bra making in china for M&S and ASDA. £30 bra for marks against a £10 one for ASDA are exactly the same. Same factory, same materials and same machines.

Not exact costings. Just me being general but you get the idea.

OP posts:
frankie76 · 07/03/2012 22:05

It's not the same materials - I've worked as a product developer for 3 bra companies and yes same factories but completely different fabrics and quality!
U get what u pay for

moonmother · 08/03/2012 08:22

Actually the boss of the factory in china , said it is exactly the same bra - no difference in standards or materials.

dreamingofsun · 08/03/2012 09:01

i too have worked in a factory that supplied M&S - though some time ago. we definately went that bit further for them on the quality stakes. they had a reputation for rejecting things if they had too much stock and would pick on any tiny issue - apart from the fact that their standards were higher anyway. don't think it justified £20 difference though

Chopstheduck · 08/03/2012 09:04

They said the same process, same quality of production but I didnt think they said the same materials.

Eliza22 · 08/03/2012 09:11

I know it's slightly different but I used to be an Occ Health Advisor for a large food production company supplying all the major supermarkets and making its own (well known) brands of produce. It wasn't all the same. M&S particularly had more/better quality ingredients in their "pots".

Just a thought Smile

homeboy · 08/03/2012 09:57

The worker conditions are the same though, which is why it always amuses me when people say they won't shop in certain stores because they think the low price means poor conditions. Pricier stores have just the same conditions, but I suppose the higher price means you can convince yourself it must be better.

CaoNiMa · 08/03/2012 10:24

Conversely, I won't shop in certain stores because low price generally means low quality.

BettyBathroom · 08/03/2012 10:38

Unbro polo shirt and Ralph Lauren Polo shirt made in the same factory with the same spec - cost of producing garment - 50p...I recall Umbro were charging around £40 and Ralph Lauren were charging around £70 - around 5 years ago, might be a bit more now.

Gillybobs · 08/03/2012 10:44

Next and Asda clothes/shoes are the often the same....my local Asda had a load of Gladiator sandals delivered last Summer with the Next branding inside them...Next were selling them for £28, Asda for £15

frankie76 · 08/03/2012 17:02

I work with both asda bras and m&s. And I can tell you for a fact same factory same workers different materials! And workmanship will be different because some might be hand stitched etc so they will also take longer to make hence a higher price

Ryoko · 08/03/2012 18:49

It wasn't M&S he said Debenhams, the ASDA ones are the same standard as the ones he sells in Debenhams.

frankie76 · 10/03/2012 10:45

They are not buy I can't be bothered arguing - go feel the fabrics youself and look at the lace etc - totally different

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.