My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Can a "Winter" wear this season's pastels?

62 replies

Danceswithdragons · 03/03/2012 18:23

I had my colours "done" last year. I am what used to be called a "Winter" so I look best in deep, cool, clear colours. Is there anyway that I can wear this season's pastels and not looked washed-out?

OP posts:
Wigeon · 03/03/2012 18:25

I had my colours done recently and am a "jewel winter", so bright, vivid, deep colours too. I had mine done by House of Colour and got a little wallet thingie with each colour and a booklet with how much percent the consultant reckoned would look good on me. All the pastels were basically supporting colours - so a belt, bag, details on a top etc, rather than a whole top / scarf / coat. Did you get guidance about how much percent the pastels should be for you?

Danceswithdragons · 03/03/2012 18:35

Hi Wigeon - I used an independent consultant, and I have a little wallet too with swatches of colours, there are a few "icy" pastels in there, but I wasn't told what specifically what percentage of pastels I could wear, only "very little" and not near my face! I like the idea of using pastels for accessories though!

OP posts:
ENormaSnob · 03/03/2012 19:09

Condolences.

I look shit in pastels too.

We've no hope this summer Wink

alemci · 03/03/2012 19:14

i don't think pastels look that good on most people. I am a 'spring' and need warm clear colours. I looked washed out in pastels if they are blue based.

QuinnFabray · 03/03/2012 19:25

I'm a winter, I think. I'm wearing Chanel's new season pastel nail polish. I think that will probably be it.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 03/03/2012 19:32

I'm also a Winter and pastel nail varnish is as far as I will be going - or possibly a bit of lilac, which I can just about get away with.

Bunbaker · 03/03/2012 19:35

I am a winter as well and take absolutely no notice of which colours are "in". I simply wears what suits me because if I don't I look like death warmed up. Just use your common sense and avoid anything that makes you look ill.

As far as I'm concerned, looking good is about style, not fashion.

Hopefully · 03/03/2012 19:37

i'm an autumn and may be venturing into some pale gold and the odd bit of nude, but basically i think the oasteks are best left to the light summers, since they're basically the only ones who won't look like corpses Smile

Hopefully · 03/03/2012 19:38

that random word is 'pastels', incidentally.

Danceswithdragons · 03/03/2012 20:42

Pastel nail varnish and a few accessories looks like the best way to go then.
It seems that pastels or oasteks (I like that word Hopefull!) Wink are not really very wearable.

I do agree about style over fashion but after recently losing a lot of weight (size 20 to 12) I am now more interested in fashion trends and adapting them to suit me. I no longer want to be the "frumpy" mum!

OP posts:
Rocketfox · 03/03/2012 22:43

See Jess C-M in the Guardian. Link Pastels are already out. Goth is in. We winters are saved!

clam · 04/03/2012 10:18

I often walk into shops, take one look round at all the non-spring colours on display and walk out again. I have to pounce when I see something that's "me."

clam · 04/03/2012 10:23

My friend trained as a colour consultant and always says how it's not really appropriate to code children. However, she took one look at dd and said she'd eat her hat if she didn't turn out to be winter. Sure enough, now she's older .... despite being cross about when younger as she only like Barbie pink, she is now reaping the benefits as a teenager as she looks fabulous in black, which makes me, as a spring, look ill.

noddyholder · 04/03/2012 10:26

God I think this is a crock of *.They choose colours according to a formula and they are hoping to make you look like a bloody loose woman with the colourful scarves and over accessorising. Put on your make up and do your hair and go shopping with a mate.

MissMacross · 04/03/2012 10:34

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bunbaker · 04/03/2012 10:49

"I often walk into shops, take one look round at all the non-spring colours on display and walk out again. I have to pounce when I see something that's "me."

I do that in autumn. All the tans, russets, browns etc look vile on me and I often end up having a quick look around the shop and walk out without trying anything on.

noddy You are wrong. Some colours just simply make me look ill. When you are wearing the right colours people shouldn't notice what you are wearing, but that you look well. If you notice someone's outfit before you notice their face they are wearing the wrong colour. It isn't necessarily about accessorising either, simply wearing the right shades of colour for your own colouring. When you have your colours done they ask you not to wear make up because it affects the end result.

noddyholder · 04/03/2012 11:25

I have seen it done loads I think its daft. I look good in things when I have a bit of colour that I dont wear in winter etc. But if someone looks well tehy just do even in the wrong colour! They use it on Loose women and they all look shite!

MissMacross · 04/03/2012 11:34

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noddyholder · 04/03/2012 11:47

Yes I know so you would have to keep going back to them if you agreed with it. Lots of very pale almost translucent people are dressed in vibrant reds blues and greens this happened to a friend yet in high end mags pale people are often seen in whites and greys and it gives a beautiful ethereal quality. Not everyone wants to look that way it is a formula and not about being individual. My friend had a voucher for it and we all laughed our heads off as they told her pinks pale greens etc and she only ever wears black and looks amazing in it! Women are becoming robots! Have you seen the state of some of the 'consultants'?

Danceswithdragons · 04/03/2012 11:49

I must admit that I was skeptical too before I had my colours done, which is why I went along to a "taster" session with a group of other women first, before committing my hard earned money!
The consultant didn't do a full colour analysis at the taster session but did enough "draping" to convince me that it wasn't all a crock of .

I'm very pleased I had it done, shopping is so much easier, as Clam says, I can walk in a shop, have a quick scan around and if nothing suitable, walk out again.

I have saved money - I have bought cheap clothes from Primarni and Matalan, in the right colours for me and people have commented how great I look.

I really do look utterly ghastly, like death warmed up, in the wrong colours. I have dark hair, dark eyes and pale "cool" toned skin BTW.

I never allow myself to get a tan (worried about ageing) but I imagine that it would change which colours are best for me, all though I would still be a "Winter" even with a tan.

OP posts:
clam · 04/03/2012 11:51

Noddy, I would argue that it's the other way round - you tend to look well because you're wearing the right colour. dh is a winter and I look shite if I attempt to wear any of his sweaters, but make a miraculous recovery if I put one of my own on.
Most people look better with a tan, and can get away with things in summer that they might not in winter, (I might chance a white top in August, but never in January!) but even your tan shade differs according to your skintone. Mine is a light golden tan, whereas dh's is different. And some winters don't really tan much at all.
Although I agree about the Loose Women looking a bit scary. But I don't think that's simply about colours.

noddyholder · 04/03/2012 11:55

Sorry, will leave you all now, will never be convinced Smile

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

clam · 04/03/2012 11:55

I mean, beauty consultants in department stores look equally scary, but it's not because of their colour coding. It's because they're plastered in slap, as per the Loose Women.

HazleNutt · 04/03/2012 12:27

MissMacross, oooh, where is that blazer from? Would love it and I'm a summer Wink

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 04/03/2012 12:37

If you notice someone's outfit before you notice their face they are wearing the wrong colour. Totally disagree with this: great outfits stand out more than most people's faces, especially when you see people every day and 'get used' to their face.

I haven't had my 'colours done' but am almost certainly a winter, just from looking at pics. I know that lots of colours make me look awful. And I'm also really pleased that I can wear black!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.