My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

What do you wear to 'the races'?

3 replies

JellyBelly10 · 01/03/2012 20:32

Where I work is already organising the Summer 'do' and have said it's at the Windsor races. What can I get away with wearing? I hate hats, I don't do dresses...I can't imagine what would be appropriate if you don't like dresses and hats! I hate my arms (so cannot wear strapless or sleeveless) I would prefer to wear trousers (or is that just not done!?)......It's not until early Summer yet I'm worried already!!! Can anyone link me to anything appropriate or just give me a vague idea of how formally I'd have to dress, or whether can get away with trousers/smart top/no hat etc....HATE dressing up!!

OP posts:
CMOTDibbler · 01/03/2012 20:40

You can wear whatever you like - the only time places have restrictions is for posh events, inside restricted areas.
Trousers, a top and comfy shoes would be perfect for a corporate event.

EnjoyResponsibly · 01/03/2012 20:43

Is there a dress code?

Do you have a budget?

As a starting point I'd say start thinking smart if its a corporate event, wedge heels if you're on the course but not essential clearly if you're in a box.

janmoomoo · 02/03/2012 11:20

You need to find out if it is Ladies day or one of their top events. And also which enclosure you are in - this is important and will define what you wear. Check their website, it will probably give the dress code.

If its ladies day and you are in a premier enclosure then dress like you are going to a wedding. You don't need a hat although people do tend to wear those fascinators. If you dont like a dress then you could wear wide trousers with platform sandals, camisole and a nice jacket with pashima or something like that.

If its not ladies day then its usually smart casual, so smart jeans with a jacket would be OK. I and going next week in the premier enclosure and I am wearing a day dress with boots, jacket and pashmina scarf or something like that. I have also been in the normal stand with the masses and that is jeans/trainers/tinnies/picnic blanket/anything goes.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.