My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Aaaagh! How to tone down highlights - emergency!

7 replies

Phwooooar · 27/02/2012 11:08

The sun was shining, I felt spring had arrived ... I asked the hairdresser to make my hair blonder..had my hair highlighted and I look like I've dipped my head in gold colour paint.. Can't venture back to work tomorrow like this and hairdresser is closed today (not that I'd want to go back). Any ideas please? Can I get a semi-perm colour and rinse through or something?

OP posts:
Phwooooar · 27/02/2012 11:28

Bump - desperation...

OP posts:
wickedfairy · 27/02/2012 12:32

Violet coloured toner (the stuff old ladies use) will take the brassiness out of your hair and make it blonder, rather than yellowy - honestly!

Go to a hairdressers that deals with old ladies and they should be able to do a toner on you, it should work! Good luck!

OatCuisine · 27/02/2012 12:36

Aveda black malva conditioner worked well on my orange highlights (home disaster - never again!). Made them much more ashy and less obvious. Have naturally dark blonde hair. Washes out after a few days but you can keep using it and it won't permanently alter the colour. It can stain skin and grouting in the shower.

chockbic · 27/02/2012 12:38

You could try a 6-8 wash semi.

Loving care does a Light Ash Brown.

Might tone you down enough to feel better.

alessthandomesticgoddess · 27/02/2012 12:42

I second violet toner. There's a range called A Touch Of Silver that you could use but I prefer to use La Riche Directions in White Toner. It's a pot of semi permanent violet toner. Slap it on for 5 minutes (no longer) and wash it off. It conditions as well as colours and is fab for the money. You do need to re-apply every three or four weeks but much better and faster results than the Touch Of Silver stuff.

There's plenty of toners around though. Go for either silver or violet toner which will take out the brassy tones.

Head & Shoulders shampoo is great for taking colour out too.

Haziedoll · 27/02/2012 12:53

Does it look as bad as you think?

Have you asked anyone for their honest opinon?

passthebiccies · 01/03/2012 14:19

Sure you've sorted it by now, but last time I had highlights, my hairdresser told me that tomato ketchup was the remedy for any highlighting disaster. Didn't fill me with confidence...Hmm Fortunately I didn't have to put it to the test!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.