My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Have you ever had a Brazilian / Keratin blow dry?

14 replies

mumofthreekids · 17/02/2012 14:21

How much did you pay and was it worth the money? Any other feedback?

OP posts:
peanutsmuggler · 17/02/2012 14:39

I did it myself, ordered the stuff from here www.keratinkits.com/

It was easy to do but took ages! about 3 hours from start to finish, I think this is why it is so expensive to have done in a salon.

I'm really happy with the results, I did it just before christmas and it doesn't seem to have washed out at all.

issimma · 17/02/2012 15:54

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

neuroticmumof3 · 17/02/2012 19:18

A friend did mine with a Cocochoco kit from ebay which cost about £20. You would also need one of those brushes that hairdressers put the colour on with. It does take hours but is well worth the result. Two months later and I still haven't had to use my straighteners. I can go out in damp and wet weather without fear of frizz.

maraisfrance · 18/02/2012 21:08

I have a history of straightening treatments - thick, curly hair that will frizz. Had a BBD and still had to use straighteners after every wash and dry to get the finish I want - swishy, shiny, flicky. So, wasn't worth it for me, but maybe if you have finer hair?

SoftKittyWarmKitty · 18/02/2012 22:47

I used the same kit as peanutsmuggler back in November and it's brilliant. It's no exaggeration to say it changed my life. You get everything you need in the kit and it took me 2.5 hours start to finish. My hair is pretty long and naturally curly with lots of frizz. I used to straighten it with GHDs but it never stayed truly straight and would frizz at the slightest hint of rain, humidity or wind. It was the bane of my life.

Since using the kit my hair isn't frizzy at all, whatever weather I go out in. It straightens beautifully but I can also wear it curly still. I noticed my hair being a bit harder to manage over the past few weeks and realised it's ready to be done again (it can be re-done every 3 months if needed) so I ordered a new kit this week and will be doing it again as soon as it arrives. I could never afford to pay £150 to get it done in a salon but for less than £30 for a kit you can't go wrong.

TheCrackFox · 18/02/2012 22:52

Hyperventilating at the thought of a cheapo home kit.

issimma · 18/02/2012 22:55

TheCrackFox · 18/02/2012 23:07

Have now ordered it Blush.

I am getting my hair coloured (professionally) this Wednesday so I will wait till next weekend to apply the magic potion. Will report back.

tyaca · 18/02/2012 23:08

i've done the home kit too. couldn't pay the full whack.

makes so much difference. i have very thick frizzy hair, have had a crop for last couple of years. Am now growing out and instead of it going fuzzy and outwards, it goes down and smooth. it also takes no styling whatsoever, not even product. unbelievable as even with a crop i had to blow dry to get smoothness i wanted.

does take a while, especially the part where you have to blowdry with product on. not so bad when using straighteners as at least you can watch tv.

i can't wait til my hair's a bit longer to see how it works then.

ProjectGainsborough · 19/02/2012 17:54

I had one. The lack of frizz was most pleasing.

However, if you're going to do it at home, maybe do next to an open window. Lots of controversy about the fumes...

here

SoftKittyWarmKitty · 19/02/2012 18:09

TheCrackFox they advise leaving two weeks between colouring and doing the keratin treatment, so I'd not do it next weekend if you're only colouring on Weds. I coloured mine about 10 days ago, as I knew I'd be doing the keratin towards the end of this month and wanted to leave enough time between the two. You'll also need shampoo and conditioner without sodium in to use after the treatment to help it last - they recommend Tresemme Naturals which is what I've been using and it's fine.

Also agree about the fumes. The worst time for fumes is when you blow dry the hair after applying the solution. It made my eyes sting at times, so ensure you blow dry near an open window.

mumofthreekids · 21/02/2012 15:48

Thanks all. Think I will give it a try!

OP posts:
babybarrister · 21/02/2012 16:35

mumofthreekids · 21/02/2012 17:52

Hmmm I would describe mine as very thick too...

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.