My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

How do you find "your style"??

13 replies

wickedfairy · 06/02/2012 10:38

I am 34, mum of 2. I have no idea what my style is - I can barely dress myself in anything other than jeans and a top. I have no idea how to shop, in fact, I hate shopping. Everything I like the look of, looks awful on me. I don't really internet shop, I have in the past but everything I order either doesn't fit or looks wrong. How do you know what kind/style of clothes to pick?

I see people out who look lovely and I think that I would like to look like that! How do you do it? I would like to start making an effort, not to be "done", stylishly unstructured maybe, I just don't know how to go about it.....

I am thinking of getting my colours done, so at least I will pick things in a colour/hue that will suit me. How do all you stylish people manage to "be"??

All advice welcome - thanks in advance!

OP posts:
Hopefully · 06/02/2012 10:42

Would thoroughly recommend colour (and then style) analysis -it really does make shopping about 100x easier, and you are so much less likely to make mistakes.

KandyBarr · 06/02/2012 11:36

Yes, would second Hopefully's advice.

You don't have to look like an explosion in a paint factory, either. I favour black but was told it was a disaster against my colouring, which it was. So now I still wear a black coat but make sure I have a scarf against my face in colour that suits me, and it makes a huge difference.

SparkyTGD · 06/02/2012 13:33

I find it useful to look in catalogues/fashion mags & either try to make note of what type of 'style' I like the most.

Also things like mini catalogues, Boden one, Kew one can be good for inspiration.

I can then buy cheaper versions of the kind of things I like.

In the past (after having DS) I practically wore a uniform of flowery/print tops, bootcut or straight jeans & trainers but these days if I see a 'flowery' top that I'm drawn to, I always stop myself.

mrsebojones · 06/02/2012 18:24

I'm 35 and a mum of 2. Finally getting to a point where I feel I know my own style and happy with what I wear. This is after the wilderness years of my 20s Wink.
Start by looking in magazines and in department stores as to what's out there in the shops. I've never had my colours done but I like blue and tend to stick to shades of that with navy, beige, cream, tan and dark grey. I then use accessories for a 'pop' of other colours that I Like. So yes, work out a few colours which are good for you.
Also think about your height and shape and the styles that will flatter. For example, I'm only 5ft and a size 8. Therefore I stick to neater, fitted clothes so as not to look like a bag lady swamped. I can't get away with maxi dresses, very wide trousers or oversized sweaters... so I just avoid.
Then work out what you do like - for me, that's skinny or straight leg jeans, Knee length jersey dresses, fitted cashmere sweaters, lightweight v neck cardigans with blouses or Ts, wedge shoes and heeled boots.
Accessories also make or break outfits and are a great way of revamping outfits without breaking the bank.
As you can tell, I love shopping... Grin

ConstanceChatterley · 06/02/2012 18:29

I love //www.polyvore.com for outfit ideas and you can search by celebrity too which is often helpful.

TantePiste · 07/02/2012 07:34

great idea to get your colours done and equally valuable to determine your body shape/ proportions. this knowledge helps you understand why certain things work or do not, without unproductively despairing in changing rooms - something i did a lot of, in past.

once you know what colors and shapes to look for, agree on polyvore to find inspiration.

sonicrainboom · 07/02/2012 08:11

A small guide:

www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/clothing/shopping-guide/signature-style-00000000057328/index.html

The first step to finding your style is to ask yourself what you really DON'T like in terms of fashion. Then you can rule out that. The next step is to think of the type of fabrics, colours, and silhouette you feel good wearing.

Dollydowser · 07/02/2012 08:29

What really helped me was identifying my body shape. Now I know exactly what skirt shape, length etc to go for. I had a fab shopping experience with a stylist but her advice was quite similar to the body shape rules that Trinny and Susannah use here, they also have a more detailed book. Lots of online advice too about finding what colours suit you best, I think that also plays a role.

KandyBarr · 07/02/2012 09:30

Browsing blogs, too, can throw up all sorts of ideas. For example, Le Blog de Betty. I wouldn't dress like her because I'm too old but I nab the odd idea and she's got a great eye for shoes, which I think anyone can wear regardless of age.

wickedfairy · 07/02/2012 17:37

Thank you so much for all the helpful advice! I am definitely going to get my colours done - if I like the lady who does it, I think I should get the style thing done as well at a later date!

I will check out the websites you get inspiration from too - I think I do need to find out what suit me, rather than just thinking "I like the look of that" and then being all disappointed when it looks awful on me!

Thank you again, wise ladies Smile

OP posts:
Dollydowser · 07/02/2012 18:52

And of course, great fitting underwear! Get measured if you haven't been and not in M&S!

Oubliette0292 · 07/02/2012 19:12

Go shopping with someone who you can trust to be absolutely honest and try on lots of things that you usually wouldn't even consider.

Don't be shy about going into shops that you would usually avoid - no one will mind you trying things on, and your pre-conceptions about the type of person who shops there are probably wrong.

Finding which shops have clothes that are cut to suit you particular body shape is largely a case of trial and error. But once you know that trousers from shop X, dresses from shop Y and jackets from shop Z etc. work for you then it gets easier (and you can venture online and mostly end up with something that fits).

Try a couple of different sizes to see which one fits best - they are not consistent from shop to shop (I can be anything from a size 6 to a size 10).

Don't be afraid to spend a little bit more on something you really love. In the long run it is better to have a few things you love and which really suit you than lots of things that you think are OK.

wickedfairy · 08/02/2012 07:24

Oubliette - I think that is one problem I have! I dont' really have anyone to go shopping with tbh! All my friends are scattered about all over the country, and those I do have round here - we all have kids and can never get any time together for shopping, we rarely have enough time to meet up for adult chats.

Will get my colours done and pay more attention to websites for looks that I like. Will pay attention to see what suits my shape and then go from there - thanks!!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.