My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

My hair is TERRIBLE!!!

6 replies

kumquatsarethelonelyfruit · 30/01/2012 17:46

OK, I had extensions in for 10 years (I know, I know) and now have a small bald patch on the side of my head which is hidden if my hair is down. The problem is my hair is in terrible condition. It is naturally tight curls but more like crispy frizz and has no style. I have been wearing it in a pony tail with some bits round my face (straightened otherwise it looks like a granny perm). I am also going grey. I tried henna but it hasn't covered the grey very well but real dye will make it even drier. I am using 3 min miracle, protective spray etc but it just all looks so ugly. Can't cut it all off as I just don't have the face for short hair. I loved my extensions but now feel like I've aged about 10 years overnight with my short greying frizzy no-style hair. Waaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Seriously, what can I do? Was thinking of getting a fake pony tail or bun so at least I look a bit elegant.

OP posts:
FoofFighters · 30/01/2012 18:37

I'm keeping my hair braided or bunned just now to grow out dodgy layers and heat styling damage. It's hard and frustrating but it's the only thing to do to until it grows. Get yourself some coconut oil and do regular oilings to help your hair recover.

this article is excellent for explaining damaged hair and how to get on the road to recovery :)

kumquatsarethelonelyfruit · 30/01/2012 18:59

cheers - the extensions WERE braids - that's what buggered it up. Damn I miss them though!

OP posts:
mrsmartin · 30/01/2012 22:24

coconut oil left on over night, then plenty of hair oil when you get out of the shower and your hair is still wet. What shampoo/conditioner do you use??

kumquatsarethelonelyfruit · 30/01/2012 22:49

3 min miracle conditioner
any shampoo going

OP posts:
mrsmartin · 30/01/2012 23:07

Well, I would recommend just washing your hair in a light conditioner, rather than a shampoo (sounds mad but it works for my friend - her hair never looks greasy either) and doing the overnight coconut oil treatment once a week. I would also try the shampoo in hair colours from superdrug - they are super cheap and won't dry out your hair but will help to disguise the grey. I use them in between doing a proper dye on my hair and they cover my roots brilliantly.

If you want to invest - Phillip Kingsley Elasticizer is the best on the market for damaged hair - he developed it for Audrey Hepburn, it's easy to use and stops your hair breaking. I use it once every two weeks or so just as a maintenance product but that really got my hair in great condition.

kumquatsarethelonelyfruit · 31/01/2012 09:21

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.