My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Green tea. I want to like it....

48 replies

pocketandsweet · 27/01/2012 13:08

Trying quite hard to reduce caffeine intake. I really want to like green tea but the couple of ones I have had ( just from supermarket nothing special) have tasted so bitter. Is this just one of those things that you either like or don't or is there is BIG difference between brands? Any advice please. I really don't want to have to add sweeteners ( since that is just replacing one bad habit for another).

OP posts:
NewYearsRevolution · 27/01/2012 13:14

Doesn't green tea contain caffeine anyway?

I think I've heard that making it with boiling water may contribute to bitterness?

everlong · 27/01/2012 13:15

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iloveeverton · 27/01/2012 13:16

Green tea still contains caffeine- so that might let you off! Try peppermint or red bush.

If you still want green tea I add a bit of lemon or a small amount of pure coconut oil- very good for your skin.

pocketandsweet · 27/01/2012 13:23

YOu mean it tastes that awful and STILL has bloody caffeine in it???? Magazines are always banging on about how great it is for you and substituting your usual coffee for green tea so I suppose I made the intellectual leap that it was therefore caffeine free ( or at least low caffeine). everlong you made me laugh "pretty rank but drinkable" !

OP posts:
WYorksLass · 27/01/2012 13:23

I don't really like plain green tea but i love jasmine tea. It's much less bitter. I also really like Pu Ehr which is a black tea but meant to have more health benefits than green tea, it is a bit of an acquired taste though. They all have caffeine in thigh.

bran · 27/01/2012 13:25

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tinierclanger · 27/01/2012 13:26

Jasmine tea rather than standard green, and take the bag out after a minute or so, otherwise it goes better.

Green tea has approx half the caffeine level of black tea.

cocolepew · 27/01/2012 13:29

Twinnings do a green and black tea mixture, it tastes normal!

cocolepew · 27/01/2012 13:30

Green tea makes you pee more. Fact.

Ambi · 27/01/2012 13:30

Echo others re Jasmine tea it's much nicer. Don't leave the bag in longer than a minutr though or it tastes bitter.

pluckingupcourage · 27/01/2012 13:39

if you are trying to get off caffeine completely, my neighbour drinks decaffeinated (normal) tea, and I couldn't taste the difference.

TheCuntwormUnderfoot · 27/01/2012 13:43

I hate green tea, but LOVE white tea. It's much less acrid. Try that!

TheCuntwormUnderfoot · 27/01/2012 13:43

Or Jasmine - yy but tases less 'tea-like' I find. Hippy tea. Whereas white tea makes it into the category of PROPER TEA (is theft).

WinkyWinkola · 27/01/2012 13:44

I have weak green tea with one sugar. It's lovely.

I thought green was chock full of caffeine?

ReduceRecycleRegift · 27/01/2012 13:46

have you tried redbrush, its really nice and cafine free, decaf tea isn't an ideal alternatives because in most cases there's loads of chemicals added to take out the caffine

Don't stew or scald it, let the boiled water sit for a few mins then dip it in

Peppermint is really nice

There are diffences in brands, some (the more expensive ones) taste slightly seaweedey to me, the lidl(or is it aldi) one doesn't taste at all seaweedy (which makes me a bit of a green tea chav because the good stuff is apparently the sea weedey stuff Hmm)

ReduceRecycleRegift · 27/01/2012 13:46

and you can add milk to redbrush like normal tea, its nicer than normal tea actually

pluckingupcourage · 27/01/2012 13:49

ooh yes, redbush tea is lovely and vanilla-y.

GrimmaTheNome · 27/01/2012 13:58

IIRC some green teas have more caffeine than black.

I drink regular during the day and decaff after 6pm. Some of the decaff black teas taste a bit odd to me (Tetleys I think) but Yorkshire decaf is nice.

decaf tea isn't an ideal alternatives because in most cases there's loads of chemicals added to take out the caffine
Not 'loads' - there are two processes. One uses ethyl acetate which is rated as having low toxicity; the other is carbon dioxide. If you're worried about CO2 you'd better avoid sparkling drinks and exhaling Grin

spiderlight · 27/01/2012 14:00

You can get decaf green tea, but I think ordinary green tea actually has more caffeine in it than normal tea. My dad was told not to drink it when he had baldder problems because of the high caffeine content.

TubbyDuffs · 27/01/2012 14:02

Liptons Green Tea with Lemon or the one with Mint are both very nice. No idea about the caffeine contained, sorry.

ReduceRecycleRegift · 27/01/2012 14:04

I don't drink sparkling drinks and try not to re-inhale lots of stale air Wink

Some people say you should only drink one cup of green tea a day, because like coffee one is good, more cancels the benefits and is bad, reason being that more than 1 cup might inhibit folic acid uptake

ReduceRecycleRegift · 27/01/2012 14:05

I have one green tea and one coffee early in the day, then switch to peppermint, redbrush, nettle etc

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

dexter73 · 27/01/2012 14:07

I put ribena in with it!

marge2 · 27/01/2012 14:10

I was given some once at a Japanese food themed party. I had to spit it out.

GrimmaTheNome · 27/01/2012 14:11

Not sure but think Japanese is particularly strong.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.