Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Just wondering

pitchforksandflamethrowers · 24/06/2022 21:31

If you could tell yourself about what SM life would be like what would you say to yourself ?

Let's keep it fairly light hearted shall we ?

OP's posts:
Please
or

SandyWedges · 24/06/2022 21:32

Worth it when your step kids finally say thank you for something you've done without being prompted

Please
or

pitchforksandflamethrowers · 24/06/2022 21:37

@SandyWedges that's lovely !!

I will throw one of my own in.

There's not a bigger compliment than being told my DSD mum that I'm a good mum/step mum and my DSD is lucky to have me.

My DH was very affronted when she said "your ok too I suppose 😂"

OP's posts:
Please
or

pitchforksandflamethrowers · 24/06/2022 21:38

Also teenagers step or not will make you want to jump from a very high building, you think you know but you have no idea.

So eat the cake

OP's posts:
Please
or

lookluv · 24/06/2022 21:59

Get you OP - I said to mine be polite to Dad new partner, you dont have to like her( she was awful) but always be polite.
They dont invite or generally want step parents on either side, adults force that on them

Sometimes I think we expect far to much adult emotion and understanding from young children but a thank you is a small gift when it happens.

Please
or

SandyWedges · 24/06/2022 22:06

pitchforksandflamethrowers · 24/06/2022 21:37

@SandyWedges that's lovely !!

I will throw one of my own in.

There's not a bigger compliment than being told my DSD mum that I'm a good mum/step mum and my DSD is lucky to have me.

My DH was very affronted when she said "your ok too I suppose 😂"

I was dead chuffed the other day when teen DSC came to me for advice over DH!

Please
or

WhoAteMyBiscuit · 24/06/2022 22:17

That one day your stepson will buy you a lovely bottle of gin for Christmas and it will all be worthwhile! 😄

Please
or

pitchforksandflamethrowers · 24/06/2022 22:24

lookluv · 24/06/2022 21:59

Get you OP - I said to mine be polite to Dad new partner, you dont have to like her( she was awful) but always be polite.
They dont invite or generally want step parents on either side, adults force that on them

Sometimes I think we expect far to much adult emotion and understanding from young children but a thank you is a small gift when it happens.

You saw my second comment re teenagers lol 😆 I have to take my wins where I can.

I do think it's the nature of children. Rarely does any child get much of a choice in the world of adults it's not specifically step.

That said I do like dsm mum foballs and all and I'm a mum myself so it's easier for me in some regards.

OP's posts:
Please
or

pitchforksandflamethrowers · 24/06/2022 22:25

@SandyWedges I really think that's the highest compliment you can get from kids.

❤️❤️

OP's posts:
Please
or

DebussytoaDiscoBeat · 24/06/2022 22:31

I never knew how naturally gifted and talented I was at feigning a "genuine" interest in watching a young DSC play and commentate in detail on...oh the bloody commentary the likes of Roblox/Talking Tom/ Plants vs Zombies or whatever was popular 10 years ago. Thank fuck that's not my life any more!

Please
or

Aksbdt · 25/06/2022 17:57

That sometimes it’s nice to be able to step back and say not my decision and therefore not my consequences to deal with - teen DSD has been talking about piercings recently and I’ve been quite pleased to say sort it out with your mum and dad

Please
or

ReluctantCourier · 27/06/2022 12:20

It’s not about you. Even when it feels like it is, it probably isn’t, and actually that’s pretty liberating.

Please
or

SmileyPiuPiu · 27/06/2022 13:25

ReluctantCourier · 27/06/2022 12:20

It’s not about you. Even when it feels like it is, it probably isn’t, and actually that’s pretty liberating.

Absolutely! Once I realised this things were a lot easier.

Please
or

heavyistheheed · 27/06/2022 14:58

When DSD puts up a soppy post on Instagram stories for my bday saying how much she loves me Smile

Please
or

aSofaNearYou · 27/06/2022 15:16

Realistically I probably wouldn't because it would have put me off and then I wouldn't have stuck around to have my DD!

Nice to read others reached a point where it all seemed worth it, though, I'm not at that point yet!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.