My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Whether you're into football, athletics, tennis, golf or cricket, join the dicsussion on our Sport forum.

Sports

First time sailing tomorrow. Tips please!

7 replies

Asleeponasunbeam · 30/08/2015 09:15

For the first time I'm getting a chance to go out on DH's boat! He's had it for a few years but I've never been child free to go with him.

So as not to act, look and sound like an idiot - what basics do I need to know?

OP posts:
IndomitabIe · 30/08/2015 09:23

When they say "sheet", they don't mean "sheet" they mean "rope". Hmm

ClutterofStarlings · 30/08/2015 09:25

Put full set (right down to underpants and socks) of clothes in the car spare. With any luck you won't need them. Good waterproofs including legs. Thermos of hot chocolate. Be prepared to duck quickly. I've only ever been sailing once, years ago. It stuck with me Grin it was really good fun though & you'll sleep well that night!

Asleeponasunbeam · 30/08/2015 09:26

Why can't they just say 'rope' then? I see this is going to be... interesting.

OP posts:
ClutterofStarlings · 30/08/2015 09:26

Oh, sorry, that won't stop you looking like an idiot, I can't help with that I'm afraid! It will just help with warm dryness :)

Asleeponasunbeam · 30/08/2015 09:31

I think I'll just stay out of the way. If that's even possible.

Warm dryness is a good start...

OP posts:
IndomitabIe · 30/08/2015 09:35

I've no idea why they can't use obvious words. I think it's a status/elitism thing.

My parents used to sail. They tried to teach me as a teenager. I was so incredibly inept.

Clutter has good advice. Expect it to feel 20'C colder on the water. Layer up.

PurpleSkyatthewateringhole · 30/08/2015 09:41

Bare feet stop you slipping all over. Granted I've only ever sailed in Australia though not counting a 30 min trip on the pirate themed boat out onto the North Sea.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.