My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Whether you're into football, athletics, tennis, golf or cricket, join the dicsussion on our Sport forum.

Sports

Help I Cleaned My Bike Chain and Now I'ts Stuck

15 replies

ZaraW · 04/07/2014 18:42

If anyone can help it would be REALLY appreciated....... I have a Ghost Ladies 1300 Bike. I was cleaning the chain and something seems to have happened not sure what but it seems to be stuck and not feeding through (I am useless with bikes). My friend who usually maintains it and helps when things like this happens is on holiday for the next three weeks does anyone know what I have done and how I can fix it? Or if there is a bike forum that would know. Of course I can no longer find the manual.

Thank you!

OP posts:
VivaLeBeaver · 04/07/2014 18:49

Have you looked to see if its on the gear cogs, both front and back? It needs to be sitting on the little teeth ok in order for it to run smoothly.

VivaLeBeaver · 04/07/2014 18:51

Have you lubed it after cleaning it? You need to add some lube if you've cleaned it all off.

catsofa · 04/07/2014 18:54

OK, here is a forum which would help, but may also be able to help you here. I've just cleaned my own bike today and the chain is hanging up on the washing line to dry!

Are you able to take and upload a photo to show exactly what's happening?

Can you figure out which part of the chain is the bit that is stuck?

catsofa · 04/07/2014 18:56

Here's a reasonably clear picture of where the chain is supposed to go

Help I Cleaned My Bike Chain and Now I'ts Stuck
catsofa · 04/07/2014 19:09

If you haven't removed the chain from the bike then the most likely thing is just that you've knocked it out of gear. Check that the gear indicated on your gear levers on the handlebars matches the ring that the chain is wrapped around. Click the levers to the correct gear if they are wrong, and that should stop it jamming.

Let me know if you want a better description of what I mean, or PM me if you'd like to be talked through it on the phone.

ZaraW · 04/07/2014 19:59

Thanks everyone

viva and catsofa thanks you worked the problem out. It seems the gear cogs on the front are the problem they are not sitting on the teeth. The back cogs are feeding through ok so definitely the problem is at the front. I can't work out how to pull the chain up to get them to sit into the teeth though.

Cat thanks you so much for your help. I think once I get the front teeth on the cogs I will be good to go, is this easy to do? I will also check out the forum but for some reason my internet keeps crashing so may take awhile.

OP posts:
MeanwhileHighAboveTheField · 04/07/2014 20:02

Push the derailleur (thing with cogs that chain goes round - dangles form back cogs) forward to give the chain some slack so you can get it on front cogs :)

catsofa · 04/07/2014 20:23

Yep, that little tiny plastic wheel right at the bottom on the back can be pushed forward to make the chain go slack, letting you get the chain to sit on the teeth of one of the cogs at the front.

Before you do this check that the gear lever on the left hand corresponds to the cog you're trying to get the chain onto. You will have a gear lever for your left hand that says either 1-2-3 or H-M-L (high medium low), and these three settings match the three rings with teeth at the front.

Set it to 1 or Low and then try to get the chain onto the smallest ring (the inside one), or 2/medium and get it on the middle ring perhaps if it's already nearly on that ring. If there is a mismatch between what the lever on the handlebars says and where you put the chain then it won't go. It's probably hardest to get it on the largest ring as this pulls the chain tighter, so pick one of the others if you can.

Pretty sure this will turn out to be your only problem and you will indeed be good to go once it's back on the rings properly, it happens all the time 'cos it's so easy to knock the levers when moving the bike. As Viva says, do lube that chain before you ride it too, being careful not to drip any oil on the wheel rims if you have rim brakes.

ZaraW · 04/07/2014 20:40

Thank you! That's a great help.

I will attempt this tomorrow I am currently swearing at my lovely bike due to my own incompetence. I guess this is something that happens all the time my friend can fix the problem in thirty seconds........ I need to pay more attention in future...........

I did have a quick look on You Tube and they made it look easy but my mud guard seems to be making it harder for me to move the chain. However, I will have a more positive attitude tomorrow. Thanks again for your patience.

OP posts:
VivaLeBeaver · 04/07/2014 21:17

Yeah you'd be able to do it easily. Sometimes my chain comes off at the front while I'm changing into a different ring. I think I need to adjust my shifter thingy a bit. But honestly I can hop off my bike and pull the chain back on in 30secs and I'm fairly clueless with bikes.

VivaLeBeaver · 04/07/2014 21:18

I think you just have to be confident and show the bike who's boss!

ZaraW · 05/07/2014 09:11

I managed to do it, and it was pretty easy followed everyone's advice and once I got part of the chain back on the cogs at the front and started pedalling slowly the chain fell into place.

Viva yes I will have to have stern words that I am in control! My old bike was a fixed gear one which I had for a few years and because it was so basic hardly had any issues other than puffing and panting to get up hills ;)

Thanks everyone for your help!

OP posts:
MeanwhileHighAboveTheField · 05/07/2014 10:38

Well done Grin

catsofa · 05/07/2014 13:45

Hooray, well done!

Next time someone else is panicking cos their chain is stuck you'll sort it out for them and they'll think you're some sort of bike genius, it's very satisfying Grin

BikeBikeBikeBikeBikeBikeBikeBikeBike

ZaraW · 05/07/2014 13:51

meanwhile thanks I am pretty pleased with myself as I am so clueless.

catsofa LOL of course and I shall be extremely modest whilst sharing my wisdom ;) Have just been down to the shops and is working just fine!
And of course everyone who helped is in my eyes a bike genius thanks again everyone!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.