My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Mumsnet users share their work from home experiences with IKEA

186 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 30/03/2020 14:56

This sponsored discussion is now closed.

School closures and social distancing mean that many of us will be working from home more than ever, and for those who have never done so before it can be a big culture shock. With that in mind, IKEA would like to hear your tips for working from home: whether that’s keeping your children occupied while you’re on a conference call, coping with no face-to-face interaction with your colleagues or how to repurpose a space into a makeshift office so that you can focus.

Here’s what Marie Tenglund, Interior Design Leader at IKEA has to say: “A good workspace for both yourself and your little ones are important. With smart planning, everybody in your family can have a comfortable, undisturbed space of their own to concentrate. One temporary workspace idea for your child could be to organize a trolley or a movable drawer unit with school books and stationery. Start the school day by moving it to the dining table where you can set up a workstation and tidy it away again when school day ends.
Taking some time out to play with the kids is important. Why not open a cafe, bake some cakes together or build the longest railroad? Whatever toys, crayons, and costumes you provide, fantasy will do the rest. Choo, choo - let the fun begin!”

Are you lucky enough to have the space for a dedicated home office? Or perhaps you’ve given a dining room or spare bedroom a dual purpose? How do you navigate working with your children in the house? Do you have ideas for making a home office space work for your entire family? Perhaps you have tips for maintaining your focus from home, by developing a home-based routine or getting a good start to each day?

Whatever your tips for working from home and creating a space that works for you, share with IKEA below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 IKEA voucher.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Mumsnet users share their work from home experiences with IKEA
OP posts:
TheCatServant · 01/06/2020 17:04

I am using a console table which doubles as a desk in our sitting room to work. My son has a desk in a playroom and my husband is in "the office". Not being on top of one another has been really helpful. Multi use furniture is good (so the console table which actually functions as a desk). I have my laptop up on a pile of books at the moment to prevent neck strain and using a separate keyboard and mouse - a stylish way of doing this would be excellent.

Teaspoon74 · 26/06/2020 15:51

Are you lucky enough to have the space for a dedicated home office?

Yes but, with two of use wfh it's a luxury we can't afford atm as it means the other person is sole parenting. Instead of our shoffice (shed office at the bottom of the garden ) OH has a standing desk in the living room and I work at a desk in the bedroom. That way we can take monster management in turns!

How do you navigate working with your children in the house?

We share details of our key meetings during the week and in the morning each day and take it in turns to be in toddler duty. On the whole she's been so good and not too demanding, but some days....

Do you have ideas for making a home office space work for your entire family?

Keep at least one area clear of work so you can "convene" as a family. For. Us, that's the kitchen.

And remember - this too will pass!

Smile13 · 28/06/2020 19:54

I have a work space set up in my bedroom, I have everything I need on the desk and add some flowers or a plant each time I work from home. I work at home alternate weeks at the moment and so enjoy the contrast. My chair has to double up as my dining chair so my husband kindly carries it up and down the stairs each night!

LimedTimbers · 16/07/2020 06:49

Are you lucky enough to have the space for a dedicated home office?
Or perhaps you’ve given a dining room or spare bedroom a dual purpose?

I am using a desk in the sitting room. My DH is using the study.

How do you navigate working with your children in the house?

Hit and miss -!trying to find activities they can do on their own and periodically checking in

Do you have ideas for making a home office space work for your entire family?

Ours works pretty well as we have 3 desks in 3 different rooms. We use the kitchen as the place we come together in during the day.

Perhaps you have tips for maintaining your focus from home, by developing a home-based routine or getting a good start to each day?

I walk around the garden every so often. I shut the door to the room I am in when I need to concentrate and I try to have the same routine

DinosApple · 22/07/2020 13:26

I work in a school as a TA, but when I've been needed for a meeting on my at home days I've turned the sofa into my office and stacked some nesting tables up to get the iPad to the right height. It's a bit Heath Robinson. Any emails are sent from my laptop, er, on my lap. It has worked ok for a temporary measure.

The children were then told in no uncertain terms not to earwig and take themselves into the garden with a snack for a break! They are old enough to not interrupt.

vickyors · 02/08/2020 09:14

I have had to share an office with my husband. It's been a nightmare with me teaching online and my the husb zoom calling. Often, we had to decide who would work there, and the other on the kitchen table with the noise of the kids. For a while, or dining table was half and half divided between a Lego city, and tech stuff for me to do all my lessons and meetings! Microphone, laptop, a second laptop for data, bright light... etc etc!

BelfastSmile · 02/08/2020 11:00

I always work from home, normally in the kitchen (used to have a home office, but it's now a Nursery). While the kids have been off, that hasn't been possible, so I've been sitting in the bed all day, with my laptop on my knee. Definitely not ideal.

We're moving soon, and thankfully I'll have my own office in the new house. I've been trawling Facebook marketplace for furniture, and will ultimately head to Ikea to get it lifted out. What I really need is loads of storage - so a desk with drawers is ideal. I'd love to have the option of converting one drawer to a filing cabinet-type space, but haven't come across anything suitable on the Ikea website.

Would also love the option of a drop-leaf table which could be expanded for sewing at!

Lemming20 · 06/08/2020 09:06

Get showered and dressed every morning... I start off with such good intentions but then usually end up working in front of the tv on the sofa with far too much coffee!

sheilads105 · 13/08/2020 20:08

Thanks to fab weather, good WiFi and a paddling pool for the kids, I've been able to sit in the garden and work on many days during lockdown. Everybody is happy. Putting a cardboard box around the laptop helps to keep it cool & keep the sun off the screen.

Makemineavodka74 · 13/08/2020 22:01

I’ve set up my work station in the corner of the kitchen and moved my dining room into the Xbox zone. Therefore moving xboxes to bedrooms. This was not the plan but I guess a 14 year old should be allowed his Xbox in his room though as expected we now never see him :( My work are not thinking of returning to the office until much later this year or beginning of next so I’m currently trying to persuade my husband I need a office in the garden so I can actually log off in evenings and at weekends.

EmanResu7 · 28/09/2020 02:21

I don't have a home office, so I have to work at the kitchen table and I honestly miss my office chair more than I miss some people! (sorry, but true). I have a small space that I could potentially turn into a compact desk space (perhaps a wall-mounted desk that raises up?). I try to change the atmosphere of the room to switch me to work mode by putting on music that doesn't distract me (but covers the fridge hum) and setting out my work in an organised way before I begin. Routine is so hard with children at home!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.