Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at [email protected] if you'd like to know more about how they work.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Mumsnet users share tips for keeping children focused during the summer school term with Premier League Primary Stars

EllieMumsnet · 01/05/2018 15:55

This activity is closed

The summer school term can feel like a bit of a struggle for both parents and DC; it’s coming to the end of the year, the sunshine is out and a well-deserved break is on the horizon. With that in mind, the Premier League would love you to share your tips and experiences of keeping your DC engaged with learning during the summer term.

Here’s what the Premier League has to say: “We understand that children sometimes need some additional encouragement when it comes to learning, both in the classroom and at home. Our Premier League Primary Stars programme uses the appeal of football to inspire children to learn, be active and develop important life skills. More than 15,000 schools are already using the football-themed teaching resources for maths, English, PE and PSHE lessons but we know that learning doesn’t stop at the school gates. So, to give parents a helping hand we have created activities and an interactive online game designed to extend learning to the home too.”

Watch their video here:

If the weather is nice do you try and get them to complete any homework outside? Perhaps you try giving your DC regular pep talks to keep them motivated? Maybe you have a reward system in place to ensure they stay on track?

However you keep your DC motivated during the summer term, comment on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw, where one MNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply
Mumsnet users share tips for keeping children focused during the summer school term with Premier League Primary Stars Mumsnet users share tips for keeping children focused during the summer school term with Premier League Primary Stars
OP's posts:
Please
or

sharond101 · 01/05/2018 18:50

It's a given that homework is done before play in out house and that's accepted and works well. Being interested and talking about school helps too.

Please
or

TheWizardofWas · 01/05/2018 19:06

Taking an interest in their work, arranging fun reated trips and letting them play outside frequently is how we manage.

Please
or

UpOnDown · 01/05/2018 20:35

Definitely homework under a tree in the garden

Please
or

Firewall · 01/05/2018 20:37

Reward screen time or 'free time' after homework has been done.

Please
or

Royalsteph · 01/05/2018 20:45

We do half an hour of reading a day, plus a few pages of a workbook. This can be done anyway as long as it is completed. My older kids take a book with them to the duck pond whilst their little brother feeds the ducks. They are only allowed to play on their electronics on an evening the rest of the day is to be spent outside. If it is raining we wrap up well and go for a walk in the woods. If I'm working they go to a holiday club at the local golf club. Last time they did fencing, archery, dodgeball and table tennis so a mixed bag of sports.

Please
or

Headfullofdreams · 01/05/2018 20:52

The same as the rest of the year but more playing outside when it's not raining or freezing cold.

Please
or

stickladilove · 02/05/2018 06:37

DD reads for pleasure, I make sure there is plenty of books around her. Homework may be one sheet per day. We love doing simple science experiments at home. DD and I share an adult colouring book, it's our time together. Also she loves doing all these things in her den made out of dining chairs, sheets clipped with pegs and pillows.

Please
or

CoffeeOrSleep · 02/05/2018 07:13

Homework needs to be done before screen time - we make sure there's activities around to help them learn (activity books, fact books etc) and make it fun. Much easier to convince dcs to walk to the library in the sunshine than the rain...

Please
or

mrsFruitLoops · 02/05/2018 10:24

We keep the routine the same.... home, homework/reading and then they can play.
I do impose a max time of 30 mins for homework, so they still have time to play out.
Homework is done on the night it comes home, that way if not finished within the 30 mins they can finish it the next day.

School is important, but so is having fun and playing.

Please
or

starlight36 · 02/05/2018 12:03

We do spend more time outside and if I'm not careful the evening can race by. I just have to make sure that I'm aware of all the homework they need to do for the week and make sure we make time.

Please
or

ButterflyOfFreedom · 02/05/2018 12:39

Homework done first before any play / screen / free time

Take an interest in what they're doing and talk around the topic / do related activities

If it's a scorcher outside then I'd encourage them to sit in the garden to do their homework / read etc. And Keady by example by reading myself.

Please
or

kateandme · 02/05/2018 14:05

try to keep to the same homework routine but just a bit more flexible due t the weather.so we will go outside.
ill bring ice creams to them.
just little ad ins like bringing iced drinks etc.
make sure you don't backtrack on getting it done if the usual rule is work before games.but also be mindful that the sun does go in so if someone organises a game then you should be as flexible as you can If you no they will come straight back in and do it after
be interested.ask them about it.bring it into normal conversation of subjects and what they like and funny things in class etc.
don't make it that work and topics only just come up when they "need to do boring work stuff"
are there any experiments you can do alongside it.exploding bottle of vinegar or drawing on top of a hill.or going to the beach.seeing animals.getting cuttings etc.
we also love to cook and so maths is used.and see who can gues and tot up cost of shop sometimes.
make sure its open too.that they can come to you no matter how small of any issues or struggles.
also be mindful a bad teacher can put them off a subect they love so help keep them separate if needs be.
put piece of fruit dipped in yoghurt in fridge to have with homework.
get them refreshed at all times.a hungry or thirsty child in summer isa modder one.
if they have a favourite book.is there any activities to do with it.or even reading on the lawn or take it to the parc.

Please
or

joggingrunning · 02/05/2018 14:22

If the weather is nice then they could do their homework outdoors. Upon completion of their homework, they can choose a reward e.g. going to the park, playing football with their friends or playing on the games console. This does make them eager to finish their homework more quickly to get their reward. Smile

Please
or

Imgettingcheesefries · 02/05/2018 14:52

Definitely homework before screen time. Taking an interest in school work/topics and helping dd to find out more about what she's been learning at school. Educational fun apps have helped dd as well

Please
or

ncullinane · 02/05/2018 15:35

I think making learning fun always helps and if going outside to study in the garden helps then I'm all for that.

Please
or

Cambam2010 · 02/05/2018 16:20

This time of year makes it easier to enforce the no play before homework rule. The kids are keen to get outside and kick around and get rid of pent up energy. The promise of a trip to the beach with icecream to cool down also speeds things up a bit!

Please
or

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks · 02/05/2018 17:37

We don't really do anything different, homework is done before winding down for bed.

Please
or

fishnships · 02/05/2018 18:42

Because the weather is (generally!) better, we make a point of taking the kids and dog for long walks and picnics in the fresh air at the weekend. I'm convinced it helps them to sleep better and takes their minds off whatever is going on at school. We also play loads of board games as well as rounders, table tennis, badminton and pool. Because they know there will be fun at the weekend, it helps them to focus on work when it comes to Monday morning.

Please
or

sarat1 · 02/05/2018 20:11

We get outside for a walk whatever the weather to clear our heads and breathe in fresh air.

Please
or

vickyors · 02/05/2018 20:48

We work outside on a blanket in the garden. I love it. We make homemade lemonade and head out. I work, and so do they.. lovely..

Please
or

Tattybogle89 · 02/05/2018 21:03

My son gets to stay up that little bit later when it’s summer as it’s brighter outside for longer. That way we can squeeze homework and playtime in outside

Please
or

MrsFrTedCrilly · 03/05/2018 00:11

We don’t change our routine that much in the summer months apart from getting out more and ice cream as an after school snack when the weather merits it! I think consistency is the key all year round.

Please
or

asuwere · 03/05/2018 05:57

I've never noticed any change in my DCs focus during the summer term. We have the same rules all year: homework can be done before or after playing so long as it's done. They have never wanted to do it outside though.

Please
or

lovemyflipflops · 03/05/2018 08:45

We have a huge craft box full of pens, glue, glitter, magazines to cut pictures out of, so we get that out and on the back of an unused roll of wallpaper make pictures/murals or we lay one of the DS at a time on the wallpaper, draw round and then colour in, add the skeleton, bones, internal organs and facial features which is great fun - I intend to keep them each year to see how they have grown over the years. (this can be done inside and outside. ,

Please
or

TheGirlWhoLived · 03/05/2018 09:17

We all club together and write a list of the things we want to 'achieve' that summer.
This includes things like: Day at the beach, Day at a theme park, but also smaller things, like Go on a Bike Ride, Go on a Nature Walk, Jump in Puddles, Make a Collage.

We also have themed days - so on Princess day (i have two very Disney girls) we might do dress up, and designing dresses, and watch Cinderella, eating sandwiches cut up like princesses etc.

I am very lucky in that the homework from DD1's school is very vocational - so there are things like 'learn 5 facts about lighthouses' or 'learn to tie shoelaces' 'do a nature collage' 'find an older person to tell you about the seaside when they were younger'

Which fits in nicely with our themes!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.