Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

PIP awarded - don't understand the payments

cricketballs · 07/09/2015 16:14

My DS has finally had the PIP assessment decision through; he has been awarded the enhanced rate for both Daily Living and mobility (which is more than his DLA award!).

What I am confused about is the payments; it says on his letter that his DLA will end on the 29th Sep, PIP starts from 30th Sep.

He received DLA on the 25th August and therefore should be due a payment on the 22nd Sep. Does this mean that he will get another weeks worth through then next week and then 4 weeks from the 30th Sep (28/10/15) he will get the first PIP payment?

OP's posts:
Please
or

vjg13 · 07/09/2015 20:18

Sorry can't help with your question but was wondering how difficult the PIP form was to do compared with the DLA one and if your son had a medical?

Please
or

cricketballs · 08/09/2015 17:59

The PIP form was very similar to the DLA one. He was supposed to have a face-toface assessment which was timetabled, but no one from Capita turned up, whenI called the appointment was apparently cancelled as there was no one available, but they forgot to tell me! When I called to re-arrange the appointment (as we were on holiday for the time they had on their system) I was told that the report had been done without it.

I will say though, that DS has a recent official dx as we never pushed for one due to his special school meeting his needs so well so that paperwork, plus report from school and the form was what was sent to DWP.

Despite no official dx until recently, due to his needs he has been awarded DLA since he was 5.

The PIP award is only until 2020; then we will have to go through it all again just in case he suddenly no longer has MLD and ASD

OP's posts:
Please
or

QueenStreaky · 10/09/2015 20:09

I've had a PIP award this week too, for ds who recently turned 16, who has ASD and ADHD. No medical - the paperwork was referred to ATOS but they gave the award without needing to see him. He got enhanced Daily Living and standard Mobility.

Please
or

vjg13 · 11/09/2015 18:29

It sounds encouraging that people are not having interviews. I read that there is a huge backlog.

Please
or

frazzledbutcalm · 25/09/2015 22:28

We're one of the unlucky ones who had to have an interview :-(
Dd recently turned 16 so has to transfer from DLA to PIP. Tbh I found the PIP form worse than the DLA. The interview dd had (I went with her) seemed to go ok. The lady was actually very lovely and understanding. Just awaiting the results now.

Please
or

QueenStreaky · 26/09/2015 07:16

I found PIP harder too. With child DLA, you're comparing to typical children and that's relatively easy. With PIP, it's more about "Can you do X?" like an adult, but a 16 year old isn't even a proper grown-up so it can be really difficult.

Good luck with your result frazzled, and I hope they don't take too long to come to a decision.

Please
or

vjg13 · 02/10/2015 10:29

Let us know how you get on Frazzled, the process seems to vary so much on location. My daughter will be 18 next year and I expect we will have to change to PIP then if not before. There have been lots of adverts in local papers recently about the change.

Please
or

icouldjusteatacroissant · 05/10/2015 22:32

We were unlucky too. Dd 16 was interviewed for PIP after receiving DLA since she was 5. The interviewer concluded from the 30 minute interview that she could prepare and cook a simple meal, and that she could plan and make complex purchases among other things Shock We are awaiting the tribunal date.

Please
or

frazzledbutcalm · 06/10/2015 09:53

Oh no icould Sad

Our interviewer seemed really nice, like she understood dd difficulties. She seemed motherly, nurture-y iyswim. I'm not so deluded though, as I think she could just be very well trained to come across that way but in reality could be devious in her intentions trying to fool us to trip ourselves up. Our interview took over an hour. Mind the woman seemed to be of the opinion that dd could organise her own finances based on "if you had to pay rent and you wanted some new clothes, would you know you had to pay your rent" ????? Hmm

We were told it could take 6 weeks from our interview date for the decision. I really hope we don't have to fight for it. Good luck with your tribunal. I can't understand how a child can receive DLA from the age of 5 then be entitled to nothing just because they turn 16!??!

Please
or

icouldjusteatacroissant · 06/10/2015 14:04

Good luck frazzle. Let us know how you get on please.

Re the finances, the interviewer asked dd about looking after her own money. She told the interviewer she had her own debit card. So that obviously figures that she can budget for rent, pay bills and still have food to eat. She does have her own debit card yes. I load it with £20 a time as she can't handle or really understand money. Dd's psychiatrist says she should not attend the tribunal as they will make mincemeat of her and it will destroy what little confidence she has.

Your interviewer sounds better than ours. Ours was really young, and was quite brusque IMO. Well I say really young, probs mid twenties. I'm an old fart I suppose!

Please
or

frazzledbutcalm · 15/10/2015 14:55

Decision has come in ... Dd has been awarded enhanced rate daily living Shock, no mobility element Hmm

We're very shocked at the decision, I expected a fight! She used to het MRC and LRM of DLA. We're not sure whether to contest the mobility side or just leave as is as we're grateful to have received anything!

Please
or

QueenStreaky · 15/10/2015 14:59

Well done! It IS a relief, isn't it? I'm glad you didn't have to go for medical interview as well, as I'm sure you are.

Do you think she should qualify for mobility? Not sure if it's worth appealing - a lot of people would say you should but it's another fight. I guess you'd have to weigh up your chances of succeeding and decide what to do for best.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.