My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Gaiters.

12 replies

lou33 · 12/04/2003 00:25

Anyone here got experience of them? DS was measured up for them today, and I was just wondering how easily accepted they were etc?

OP posts:
lou33 · 12/04/2003 14:27

Anyone?!!

OP posts:
suedonim · 12/04/2003 19:13

Lou33, I don't know if I'm talking about the same thing but are gaiters those plastic shoehorn type things that go round children's feet, sort of cupping their heel and supporting the leg? If so, then a friend's dd had them and they meant she was able to walk!

Her dd was adopted and suffered from Severe Foetal Alcohol Syndrome. My friend was told M would never walk or amount to anything much, but she wouldn't take no for an answer. M was fitted with the aids to help her leg strength and was up and literally running within weeks. M also learnt to speak and attended a mainstream school, albeit with lots of help, defying the gloomy predictions for her future.

Hope this is relevant - if not, sorry for waffling on!

lou33 · 12/04/2003 19:23

It sounds very similar, ds is supposed to wear them at night though to stretch his leg muscles. It's a very positive outcome though from what you say, did she have any trouble gettig used to them?

OP posts:
lou33 · 12/04/2003 19:34

I think this is what they might be.

OP posts:
suedonim · 12/04/2003 20:46

That looks similar to the straps that kept M's rigid plastic bits on. The fabric bits wrapped round her calf. Her's were horrid germoline pink, though, and not all jazzy!!

I don't think they had any problems getting her to wear them but she was an unnaturally compliant child. She was 17mths when they adopted her and had lived her life in hospital so had psychological problems due to not having had any one person to bond to etc. And once she realised she could walk with them, then she couldn't wait to have them on each morning! How old is your DS?

lou33 · 12/04/2003 22:33

He is 2, and has accepted other things without argument, such as glasses and eye patching, but he is very fussy about his legs at night (when he will be wearing the gaiters). I have to rearrange them several times , and he hates having them covered.

OP posts:
chatee · 13/04/2003 09:12

MY DD wears splints that look similar to the ones on the link although they are only lower limb and totally cover her foot.They were moulded by plastercast in the local hospital and then made by a company in Sheffield(i think).My dd was not impressed at first and it took a while for her to get used to them but now (she got her first ones on Dec 23/02)she is happy to wear them as"my strong legs help me"in her words.The only problems i found were:

1. Actually getting a pair of footware to fit her-quite difficult due to the placement of the velcro straps.we eventually found a pair of trainers in Next and they have done the job.(we were recommened trainers as long as they had a soft sole not rigid and they have done the trick,they are just getting a scuff patch where dd drags her right foot and need replacing but she was measured up last week for new splints so hopefully they will last for two more weeks!
  2. DD needs her socks changing at lunch as her feet are very sweaty and pools of water form in the heel part of the splint but this will be rectified on the next splints as they are putting air holes in the sole
  3. You will need long socks as they are more comfortable with the splints-try and get some now as i've noticed inthe last week many stores are running out as they are getting short socks in for the summer.
    HTH sorry it took a while but i've been with my mum for a couple of days to recharge the batteries!
    pps will ask about weight restriction on lifting but dd's apt was changed to this week
    Love Chatee
lou33 · 13/04/2003 11:28

Thanks Chatee, lots of things I would never have thought about in your post. I don't have to worry too much about shoes for now as ds will be wearing them at night, from what I was told, but no doubt he will progress to daytime at some stage, so your info was very useful. And thank you for remembering about the weight restriction.

OP posts:
lou33 · 01/05/2003 17:51

Well ds got his gaiters today. They have said he isn't wearing them at night now, thank goodness, but I have to put them on him at least 3 times a day. I was very proud of him. After an initial bout of heartbreaking screams he wore them for 25 minutes without complaining, while playing catch! And he stood up in them with a staright back, which believe me he doesn't do that often! I might even put him on the "proud" thread.

OP posts:
eidsvold · 01/05/2003 21:06

Posted on the proud thread - to say BRAVO to your son.

doormat · 01/05/2003 21:30

Lou33 you must be very proud. LOL

suedonim · 02/05/2003 04:06

Oh, that's lovely news, Lou33. I'm sure once yoru son realises that they help him do things, he'll be happy to wear them. Good luck.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.