My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Autism - recommended reading for the clueless

9 replies

WedgiesMum · 10/04/2005 20:47

DS has just seen the Ed Psych who says he is 70% certain DS has some form of ASD (possibly Pathalogical Demand Avoidance but that's another story!!) and I am at a bit of a loss as to where to start with helpful books that I can get hold of to get more information. I know that you lot are brilliant at recommending things so I am throwing myself at your mercy.

And just as an aside I think its worth getting a formal dx for DS and how do I go about that - do I go through the Ed Psych? My Doctor? Try and get a referral to our local CDC? I think school would be a bit more helpful if we had an 'official' piece of paper as they are dismissive of the Ed Psych's report to say the least.

TIA!

WMxxx

OP posts:
Jimjams · 10/04/2005 21:34

If he's pretty high functioning then something like Tony Attwoods stuff and Mike thingy's books?? help me out everyone else mind gone blank! Mike , mike....

I'd also read some stuff on the sensory issues- Stella Waterhouse A positive approach to autism is detailed but good- especially for those who kind of overlap lots of dx.

cazzybabs · 10/04/2005 21:46

I would second Jimjams recommendation for Stella Waterhouse - really intersting reading. (I don't have child with autism - but it should be compulsive reading for all teachers)

singyswife · 10/04/2005 22:19

I have a nephew with autism and I and his mum actually found the internet really helpful. Can't recommend any books but that is certainly where I got a lot of information from.

jmb1964 · 10/04/2005 23:43

Mike ...Stanton, Jimjams? Can't now find the book, but did read it and it was good. It was by a father, who was also a teacher, trying to get his son understood at school, as far as I remember?

jayzmummy · 11/04/2005 03:55

The Jessica Kingsley range of books are really good....try your local library.

Jimjams · 11/04/2005 07:32

Thanks jmb- mike stanton! He covers the high functioning angle pretty well.

Davros · 11/04/2005 09:46

Look at NAS publications too on their website. I'd advise getting a referral to CDC and/or Developmental Paediatrician via GP or HV.

WedgiesMum · 11/04/2005 21:03

See I knew I could count on you lot! You are all stars! My local library is not going to see the back of me!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

WMxxxxxxx

OP posts:
Davzmum · 12/04/2005 13:39

Hi Im new here!
I have a 16 yr old with high functioning Aspergers I would recommend also "The curious incident of the dog in the night" by Mark Haddon gives you a good insight into what goes on in an autistic childs mine (wink)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.