My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Mainstream with a unit trying to force nephew out.

4 replies

sisterandnephewneedadvice · 05/02/2024 15:40

Hello!

Name changed. This is on behalf of my sister and her son (my nephew) she asked me to post for advice as she knows how much help I've had from here over the years!

I'll try to keep this brief!
Her son (my nephew) is in a mainstream school with an sen unit. Since september he has been passed from classroom to classroom apparently due to behaviour (he gets upset with older children and has been know to lash out), reduced hours for a week, given no time to settle and now sister has been told that they basically want him to move schools (even recommending a school). Sister is devastated as she doesnt understand whats happened as the last two weeks his daily reports have been fantastic with so much praise from the school so obviously this has some as a complete shock!
She looked at the school they have recommended and it's a nono (has a friend that knows the school very well).
Senco sadly isn't great and isn't much help. He's had a new 1:1 which staff have reported back they've developed a good relationship in a short amount of time.

She just wants the best for her son but doesnt know what to do regarding the school. She's always been so proactive and understanding, working with the school and teachers as much as she can.

Can the school force him out? They've said that they can't cope with him anymore.

What can she do?

Thank you! I'll post more info as I get it from sister.

OP posts:
SearchingForSolitude · 05/02/2024 15:51

I presume DN has an EHCP? DS should request an early review because the EHCP needs improving to better meet DS’s needs.

Does DS want DN to remain at the school? If she feels it isn’t meeting his needs has she looked at all schools within travelling distance, including out of area and independent schools.

The school could say they can’t meet needs, but if the school is the preferred placement there are very limited circumstances the LA can refuse to name the school in the EHCP. Unless there is far more than you have posted the LA wouldn’t be able to meet the high threshold for any of the exceptions.

sisterandnephewneedadvice · 05/02/2024 15:53

Sorry should have added they've asked this week and next that he be collected from school at 12.30pm. Sister has refused as their reason for this was that his 1:1 is needed in another class.

OP posts:
sisterandnephewneedadvice · 05/02/2024 16:00

Sorry yes nephew has got an ehcp. She's requested an urgent ehcp review as it's due very soon anyway.

OP posts:
SearchingForSolitude · 05/02/2024 17:01

DS is right to refuse. She shouldn’t collect early unless the school formally suspend DN. Sending DS home informally amounts to an unlawful exclusion. If DS isn’t already, she should follow up verbal conversations with emails so there is a paper trail.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.