My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Partner’s son - not sure what to do

2 replies

AngelicaSchuylerAndHerSisters · 12/10/2023 11:22

Hi,
I can see very clear autism traits in my partner’s son. Virtually no eye contact, he is very direct and often accused of rudeness which confuses him, he struggles socially, when out and about he walks round in circles flapping his hands, he struggles with conforming at school and is now having meltdowns more regularly. He is 15 but when he was five his school raised autism concerns which his parents dismissed. Several years later the school suggested dyspraxia which was also dismissed. Now, though, he is clearly struggling. This is an exam year for him and I’m trying to suggest gently that my partner and ex seek help. But they are in denial and it really is none of my business. They think their son is just a moody, uncommunicative teenager. I don’t want to upset anyone or cross any boundaries. The school are useless and seem to put this down to bad behaviour.
Any advice would be amazing. Thank you.

OP posts:
YellowRosesWithRedTips · 12/10/2023 13:00

There’s nothing you can do other than support DSS. ASD has been raised several times you can’t force them to pursue an assessment.

SiouxsieSiouxStiletto · 13/10/2023 07:18

That's so, so sad. We had the opposite problem where we were the ones raising it and the school and Doctors just dismissed us.

That was until the pressure of exams in Y11 arrived and DD could no longer cope and had a massive meltdown and absconded from school.

I would pull DH up in his behaviour every single time, gently.

If he says anything about DSS at all I would say, @it sounds to me as though he's struggling and might need some support. X mentioned the possibility of ASD, have you read up on it?".

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.