My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Ear plugs for noise sensitivity in the classroom?

15 replies

Didicat · 26/01/2023 18:34

Anybody have suggestions or advice about using these dampening ear plugs you see advertised on Facebook to help your children cope with loud classroom environments? She could wear ear defenders but she does not want to draw extra attention to herself as she already has lots of intervention classes. The likes of loop appeal, but expensive if they don’t help and worried about her losing them. My daughter is 10 dyslexic, epileptic and referred to camps for ASD.

OP posts:
ehcpformhell · 28/01/2023 20:17

I'd not heard of these before but having a quick look at them they look good. Would be great to hear if anyone else has used them and found them good/bad etc.
My DD will use ear defenders at home but is too self conscious to wear them at school so these might be an option that she would be happy with.

Emmelina · 29/01/2023 10:13

Flare audio are fantastic. When they first arrived I laughed because they really don’t look like much, so I thought I’d test them myself before trying to get my teen ASD daughter to attempt to stuff them in her ears. I’m a primary teacher and suspect I am also ND (as have two confirmed autistic children and see myself in them). They really helped me feel less exhausted from dealing with the class all day and holding it all in! It’s so weird. Like little silicon bits of magic.

Didicat · 29/01/2023 17:19

Thank you for the recommendation I will have a look at Flare, I too although not diagnosed if I was at school today would be both inattentive ADHD and ASD. Lockdown has dramatically decreased my tolerance for noise.

OP posts:
mumof2andstillsurviving · 29/01/2023 22:00

My daughter is 10 and she uses loop earplugs. They are brilliant. We opted for the ones where you can still hear conversations but it cuts out background noise they are really good

mumof2andstillsurviving · 29/01/2023 22:02
Didicat · 30/01/2023 08:45

I’ve bought some kids flare ones for her to try as they were significantly cheaper.

Ive bought myself some of those loop ones so she can maybe borrow those for a day and see if anything helps her stay focused.

OP posts:
ehcpformhell · 30/01/2023 08:56

Do let us know how you get on as I might get some my my DD too. Hope they work well..

Lindy2 · 11/02/2023 19:59

Didicat · 30/01/2023 08:45

I’ve bought some kids flare ones for her to try as they were significantly cheaper.

Ive bought myself some of those loop ones so she can maybe borrow those for a day and see if anything helps her stay focused.

Didicat how did you get on with the ear plugs? I'm looking at possibly getting some for my 14 year old and would be really interested in your experiences.

user1483993928 · 18/07/2023 22:12

Annoying when people don't post again to follow up isn't it, isn't much benefit saying you're trying something without reporting how it was. And almost as annoying when people post a reply which doesn't add any information such as this. Can anyone comment on any of their experiences?

UniversalTruth · 19/07/2023 23:37

Is the person who comments second with nothing at all useful to add but who also wants to know others' experience so is bumping the thread more or less annoying than you @user1483993928 ?

user1483993928 · 20/07/2023 23:10

I am probably not much less annoying, and about as annoying as someone who comments on someone who is (allegedly) bumping up the thread while themselves also not adding anything useful!!! But really why do people bother to post "I'm going to try [whatever]" because that doesn't help anyone, right? @Didicat I'm talkin bout u

dressedforcomfort · 23/07/2023 12:07

We tried Flare Calmer Kids for my 9 year old but they are so tiny we had problems keeping them in and I'm not wholly convinced they did the job.

I really want to try him with the adult flare /Loop but both sites say they are not suitable for kids under 12.... @mumof2andstillsurviving - did they fit your 10 year old OK?

mumof2andstillsurviving · 23/07/2023 12:11

dressedforcomfort · 23/07/2023 12:07

We tried Flare Calmer Kids for my 9 year old but they are so tiny we had problems keeping them in and I'm not wholly convinced they did the job.

I really want to try him with the adult flare /Loop but both sites say they are not suitable for kids under 12.... @mumof2andstillsurviving - did they fit your 10 year old OK?

Yes they fitted ok.

dressedforcomfort · 23/07/2023 12:33

@mumof2andstillsurviving good to know! Thank you

fingersXd14 · 01/11/2023 20:05

We got calmer kids for our 8 year old autistic child and they are amazing. Instant relief for our family life- we have two other, younger children. Eldest is sensitive to sound and gets very angry at them for talking/ making any noise at all! With the ear buds in it’s a game changer. They really don’t seem like much but huge difference. The kids fit our 8 year old well so far, and he’s the size of an 11/12 year old. The only trouble is that losing them is an expensive business.. haven’t figured a solution to that yet… any suggestions welcome! The ones with string attached are a no go for school, too conspicuous.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.