My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Explaining autism to DD

1 reply

vinoandbrie · 08/11/2022 10:28

DD is eight, and was diagnosed with autism in year one. She is starting to notice she is different from her friends and is feeling very sad and low.

On the one hand I don’t want to make her feel worse. On the other hand I think we may now be at the point where she needs to know.

She knows autism exists, and she knows that she has a ‘special brain’ that is amazing at lots of stuff, but also finds some stuff really tough.

I’d be really grateful for any advice about how to explain it and present it to her.

OP posts:
Jackandjames · 09/11/2022 13:37

My son is undiagnosed at this point (1.5 yrs on the waiting list!) but I’m almost certain he is autistic. One of his closest friends from nursery through to school is also on the spectrum. The two of them have always been drawn to each other and I’m sure it’s because they can sense that they’re the same in some ways. Is it possible you can find other autistic children in your area that she could connect with? Facebook groups are so good for it, you could even set up a group and post it on the local page. I’m sure lots of people would be in the same situation. Xx

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.