My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Showing he's disabled when we're out

3 replies

Twigglett1 · 23/10/2022 09:15

My little one is 3 and has a moderate learning disability with moderate communication difficulties.

When we go out places, I'm starting to struggle with other people and how they interact with him and judge me for what they obviously think is "bad parenting/a naughty child".

I'm wondering whether I just make it really obvious that he has additional things going on and then people might mind there own business.

I know we can ignore them, but I also need them to stop talking to him and give him space, not get annoyed when he walks in front of them, let him bound about in a queue and play with things etc.

Do other people do this? If so how?

OP posts:
Thatsnotmycar · 23/10/2022 09:26

I'm wondering whether I just make it really obvious that he has additional things going on and then people might mind there own business.

In our experience this doesn’t happen. I have a DS who is a teen now and it is obvious he has additional needs yet they still stare, comment and interfere/try to help (some with good intentions but not all).

The one thing we do have is a tag telling people his SN buggy should be treated as a wheelchair.

If you need people to stop talking to him in my experience you have to be direct - “X has additional needs please stop talking to him as it isn’t helping the situation”.

SachiLars · 24/10/2022 21:19

I can’t claim credit for the idea, but I do like the idea of a ‘fuck budget’. Work out how many fucks you have to give, when they’re all spent then just don’t give a fuck about anything else.

So if your boy is safe, happy and you’re managing to (just about) do the things you need to do. Don’t give a fuck about what some ignorant street rando thinks. What kind of person judges another like that? No one worth worrying about.

Rhubarblin · 24/10/2022 21:31

Something like this? www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1113083405 (my DD has this badge and another one that says "I have language disorder")

Or a sunflower lanyard with a card with some sort of message on?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.