My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Is your child in an ARP and what do they learn?

5 replies

nad79 · 24/06/2022 14:50

Hi, I have a question about Primary School ARP’s (autism resource provision). If your child is in one, do they cover the full curriculum or only the core subjects of maths, reading and writing? If they do learn other subjects, is it in provision or are they taken into mainstream?
My son is in an ARP and they don’t learn any history, geography or science on a regular basis. He’s not learning much at all to be honest, I have to constantly home school him even though he’s in school.
Wondered what other people’s experience of ARP’s are. Thanks.

OP posts:
Sprogonthetyne · 26/06/2022 13:39

No experience to share, but I would be very interested to read aswell, as DS starts one in September. The plan is he will spend 50% each day in the unit, and cover the non-core subjects there, aparently they can be quite flexible and intrest lead. And 50% with 1:1 in the mainstream class, during maths & English time.

In theory it could be great, but will have to wait to see how we'll in works in practice.

Apinke · 26/06/2022 21:15

My son is in one and it's one of the greatest mistakes of my life .It's baby sitting and I am unsure of what he does there .So I have now resorted to half days and he's being taught at home in the afternoons .

nad79 · 27/06/2022 06:22

Apinke, sorry to hear that. How did you get the school to agree to half days? I have a meeting with the school later where I am going to suggest something similar. The SEN code of practice says they should be teaching the curriculum, so the school are breaking the law!

OP posts:
ladyapinks · 27/06/2022 07:11

nad79 · 27/06/2022 06:22

Apinke, sorry to hear that. How did you get the school to agree to half days? I have a meeting with the school later where I am going to suggest something similar. The SEN code of practice says they should be teaching the curriculum, so the school are breaking the law!

They didn't agree .I just go and take him out .I heard some ARPs are better but this one isn't and I guess expectations also vary as some parents say it's amazing .These are some parents in my child's class .So it's also down to what we all want for our children .

Aswad · 01/08/2022 12:02

@Apinke this is one of my many fears
I’m expecting a massive fight to secure a good EHCP but after all that imagine having to homeschool or DD ends up with a rubbish TA. she’s non verbal so would have to rely on school for accurate feedback

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.