My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Brain Gym

19 replies

Kittypickle · 24/11/2004 12:49

Has anyone any experience of one on one sessions with a Brain Gym Consultant ? I've noticed on the website that there is a lady pretty local to us who does this, I've just been reading the book her SENCO kindly lent me and it does look as if it might be helpful (DD is nearly 6 and has Dyspraxia and Hypermobility and as a result is struggling to form letters.

OP posts:
Dingle · 24/11/2004 13:00

Sorry Kittypickle, I have no experience. DS (NT) does Brain Gym exercises at school and this was the first I've heard of them.
Would be really interested in finding out more, perhaps they might be of some use for dd.
What's the website please?

Kittypickle · 24/11/2004 13:05

It's www.braingym.org.uk , trying to do a link went horribly wrong, sorry ! I'm not very far into the book yet but it does look good so far.

OP posts:
hana · 24/11/2004 13:08

Brain Gym is excellent, I regularly use the 'exercises' with my students before lessons and as a 'break' during them. Have led a few training sessions with my colleagues. There are a few books, pretty self explanatory really

Dingle · 24/11/2004 13:10

I have a go here

What's the book called?

hana · 24/11/2004 13:13

sorry, they are at school, I think 'Brain Gym' though.....? It's all American stuff

Kittypickle · 24/11/2004 13:21

I've got a copy of "Hands On - how to use Brain Gym in the classroom" - Cohen and Goldsmith. It does seem pretty straight forward, although I'm beginning to think I might have a couple of co-ordinations issues from it !!!!!

OP posts:
Dingle · 24/11/2004 13:26

This sounds really interesting. I would love to learn more. The course is over £400!
Perhaps it would be something I could organise through the DSA group I help with.
I might ask at ds's school too!

Kittypickle · 24/11/2004 13:29

I'm going to have a go at some of the exercises with DD this weekend, we're going away and I can hopefully make it fun whilst DH entertains DS. I hadn't looked at the price of the training course, ouch, but as you said you might be able to organise it through the DSA. I'll report back next week as to how it's gone - I just tried some of the exercises but stopped when my neighbour walked past the window in case I worried her !!!

OP posts:
Dingle · 24/11/2004 13:44

I've just looked at some of their books, quite a few to choose from!
WE are just setting up our own local group affiliated with the DSA. I have offered my services as treasurer!! A few of us have mentioned about a resource library of books, videos,CD-Roms,etc. Perhaps this might be appropriate? I'll have to do a bit more investigating.
It has been mentioned on here before and I was going to do something about it then but, you know how it is [hopefully not alone emoticon] I just never got around to it!!
I will ask the SENCO at dd's nursery and see if they have any resources I could have a look at. Thanks for the info!

Kittypickle · 24/11/2004 13:47

Dingle, I have sent you a CAT on the subject of the books .

OP posts:
Dingle · 24/11/2004 13:50

oooh thanks Kittypickle.

Forgot to send a big about you being seen trying out the exercises!! My neighbour (one of the very best) already knows I'm as mad as a hatter! Better not give her any more cause for concern.

Christie · 24/11/2004 21:59

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coppertop · 24/11/2004 22:20

That sounds awful, Christie. Did they really expect teachers to take those kinds of claims seriously?? I think I'd want my money back if I'd paid for staff to attend that rubbish.

Dingle · 25/11/2004 00:20

Christie, that's ridiculous. Why make such unbelievable claims?? Do they think they are dealing with a load of idiots?Where did you do your course and did you get the opportunity to give feedback?
Do you have any positive feedback about the actually exercises themselves. I don't expect miracles from them but I thought it would be a fun way that may help to stimulate both ds and dd.
I personally think perhaps buying a book would be my limit, I certainly won't be paying £400 to go on a course, especially now!!

Davros · 25/11/2004 08:48

Christie, I was a bit suspicious about some of the claims. I picked up some info about Brain Gym from a local woman who practices. What I didn't like was the guff she started talking about why children with ASD have repetitive behaviours and that being stressed during pregnancy could have caused the problems. However, I do know someone else I think is fantastic who does Brain Gym informally with my DS before they get started on playing/working etc. I haven't looked too closely at the material I picked up but will have a proper look.

Christie · 25/11/2004 21:30

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JaysMum · 25/11/2004 22:01

My NT 10 year old son does Brain Gym at the start of every lesson with his class teacher - J my SEN son hated Brain Gym because he couldn't keep up with the rest of the class doing the excercises!!
So instead of it supposedly helping him it caused him more distress and lowered his self esteem even further because he felt like he was a failure.

Has anyone here ever tried the DDAT programme - I have just recieved their video information pack and some of the claims made seem a little far fetched!!!!

Dingle · 25/11/2004 22:03

DDAT???? What's that she whispers in an [embarressed] and ignorant tone!!

Dingle · 25/11/2004 22:05

Not only did I spell that wrong-it should have been "blush" in the first place.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.