Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

Maybe ASD - what is the process?

WorryBean · 18/05/2022 16:08

Hello,

I think there is a possibility my DD (4) is showing some signs of ASD, particularly sensory.

Can anyone explain the assessment process? I understand it can be lengthy/involve a lot of waiting.

Are there benefits/drawbacks to going privately?

Thank you :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

KnottyAuty · 18/05/2022 22:18

Private assessments obviously cost a lot and if you don't pick a well known centre you may find that some places don't want to accept it. But you can always joint the CAMHS waiting list and do that as well later if you wanted to get going privately now.

Please
or

Sprogonthetyne · 19/05/2022 08:05

CAMHS tend not to deal with under 5's, talk to your health visitor who can refer to a pediatrician and SALT if needed. The pediatrician can then refer on to a multidisciplinary team, who assess/ diagnose.

It took about 18 months with DS on the preschool pathway (including about 3 months of covid delays). Much faster then for older kids going through CAMHS, who can wait years before the first appointment. Though it's all area dependent.

Don't wait for a diagnosis though, if your DC's having difficulties, you can still get help in place, based on need not diagnosis. Talk to their school/nursery about what support they might need, and if nessercerily get the ball rolling on a EHCP.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.