Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

Adhd referral..

purpleme12 · 13/05/2022 21:28

I'm wondering whether to refer for adhd via school...
School are aware of the behaviour problems at home.
But they wouldn't have known about them if I hadn't told them. Ie an outsider at school would think she's ok. But I know they can mask.
Has anyone referred when their child is ok at school?
How has it gone?

OP's posts:
Please
or

ADarknessOfDragons · 23/05/2022 23:27

I have been told that they need evidence of the behaviours in 2 settings for diagnosis. I asked to clarify (my DD has been referred by school but is now not attending) and they said current school advice might be enough- as in what they provided for referral and they'd contact them again anyway, as she is due to move to Y7 in September.

I think there are still signs. My DD is a pro masker but they do still see it at school and a family support worker raised initial concerns after trying to engage her at school and at home over several sessions.

I'd still get the referral done as my DD moved school for Y5 mid ASC assessment and though new teacher- an NQT- didn't feel she had significant social communication difficulties she still scored enough for diagnosis. It may become clearer that school do note behaviours once they do the questionnaires.

Please
or

purpleme12 · 23/05/2022 23:32

Ah thank you. This is what I read too about the 2 settings so it worried me a bit.

OP's posts:
Please
or

purpleme12 · 23/05/2022 23:33

What was the family support worker for?

OP's posts:
Please
or

ADarknessOfDragons · 24/05/2022 07:27

purpleme12

What was the family support worker for?

Once my DD hit crisis and was having attendance issues school pushed us to do an Early Help referral. I was really reluctant as I felt I'd be told to set firmer boundaries and get her into school by whatever means but I got lucky I think with a family support worker with ND children who has ADHD herself who 'got' it.

She helped by doing sessions with my DD on recognising and naming emotions (and said they didn't help my DD but she brought craft things too which my DD enjoyed), she did a classroom observation and noted lots of things the teacher probably hadn't (eg very exagerrated 'gasps' and facial expressions which is noted in her ASC diagnosis report, how impulsive she was (getting off seat to greet her with a hug when she'd only met her once for 10 min at that point and not appropriate for an 11.5 year old in lessons in Y6 to do that), being rude and snatching something then immediately apologising, not wanting to use certain art materials, appearing as if she was playing a part- she described her as masking to appear more NT.

She gave advice for EHCP needs assessment and the ADHD referral as she's seen her at school and at home too including trying to help me with getting to school. She included that in the EHCP advice she did.

So, Early Help was helpful for me as I doubt she'd have been referred otherwise despite school then strongly agreeing they felt she has ADHD. I've heard others say it isn't.

Also, my DD is academically able and had always been described as "fine" in school until she hit crisis in Y6. No behaviour issues. Academically exceeding or on track in all areas. We had lots of challenging behaviours at home. Currently almost none (but hasn't been to school in a couple of months....)

Please
or

ADarknessOfDragons · 24/05/2022 07:34

But with the two settings, while your school might not say they see signs, once filling in the questionnaire they might still be observing behaviours they just haven't put together as being adhd type symptoms.

How old is your dc?

I also found my dc found it harder to mask and carry on as she got older and the demands go up and the gap between her and peers increases etc. The wheels fell off the wagon for us in Y6 and I'm not sure what our next step is really.

Please
or

ADarknessOfDragons · 24/05/2022 07:37

Sorry- should also add, the family support worker brought us resources at home too. She brought the Cygnets info (an ASC course not running here due to funding right now) and also info about adhd in girls and women (made me go "ooohhhhh!") And also stuff from Newbold Hope about challenging behaviours (though as I said, no massive school stress = hone life is 90% calmer)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.