Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

Need advice- extreme anxiety in 5 year old

Badmm · 04/05/2022 20:41

Really need advice my son is 5 on the waiting list for diagnosis for autism but I also suspect adhd but since Friday he has developed a fear of everything. Pieces of fluff from clothing and the carpet, bugs , any type of noise tonight a meltdown has started because he heard a creak while in the bathroom and he was screaming and holding on to me and his sister like he was genuinely terrified. He was shaking and histerical screaming and shaking and screaming I’m scared over and over. I’ve tried breathing techniques and showing him there is nothing scary, tried to distract him with games and toys but as soon as I leave the room he will start again. He is very obviously tired and refuses to lie down because he’s now scared of his bed. I just don’t know how to help him 😩 it’s stressing me out as I also have an 8 month old and his 2 older siblings are getting annoyed and frustrated with the screaming.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Jenpy · 08/05/2022 08:35

Hello, sorry you are having a hard time. My 4-year old dd has anxiety about a lot of things and is also waiting for an autism diagnosis. She is terrified of dogs, loud noises and recently flies are causing all sorts of problems. We have gone through stages of her being terrified of the bath and she now hates to go swimming. I don’t think she is as bad as your son and I don’t have great advice except maybe try to warn your son about things in advance. Like I now tell my daughter that there is likely to be a hand dryer noise in public toilets… that we will see dogs at the park but that I will look after her… that the ducks might quack or look at her! It’s really hard but I just try to stay breezy and I get up close and tell her that ‘I will look after you’. I can tell if she is worried because she will make eye contact (rare) and say ‘you look after me mummy’ and I will reassure her. I also warn her if we are doing things in a different order to usual or of any changes and I find preparing her helps. Good luck. 🤗

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.