My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Can I get a prescription for melatonin privately for a child?

13 replies

NameChanged15729 · 08/03/2022 21:24

My daughter is diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and global developmental delay. She is three. The process of getting a prescription through the nhs is frankly ridiculous. It will more than likely take months if they even agree at all.

Is there anyway of accessing this privately? And if so has anybody got any recommendations? Im in the Cardiff area.

OP posts:
Funnyname00 · 08/03/2022 21:48

I think you’d need to see a private community paed.
You can also buy melatonin gummies online if you want to take matters into your own hands

livpotter · 09/03/2022 09:38

Yes you can. I saw a private GP who prescribed it for my ds. He then sent a letter to our NHS GP and we now get it on repeat from them.

Imitatingdory · 09/03/2022 14:18

In some areas GPs won’t take on prescribing medication initiate by private HCPs, so if you wouldn’t be able to afford ongoing private prescriptions it is worth checking. A private GP wouldn’t be enough in some CCGs, where NHS GPs will only prescribe melatonin if it has been prescribed by CAMHS or a paediatrician.

NameChanged15729 · 09/03/2022 16:54

Thanks everyone, can anybody recommend a gp or paediatrician who might be able to prescribe it?
I don’t really know how to find one or what I need to ask them.

OP posts:
Malteser71 · 09/03/2022 17:14

You can buy it over the counter in the USA. I bought some for jet lag, it was really helpful, so now I buy it online

BlackAndPinkNose · 09/03/2022 20:15

Our GP isn't allowed to prescribe it without a paediatrician agreeing.

We just order it online from the US www.biovea.com/uk/product/detail/14917/melatonin-gummies-5mg--mixed-bery---60-Gummies/?deptid=0&cid=0&mid=0&kw=melatonin

NameChanged15729 · 09/03/2022 20:23

I’m tempted to order it from the US, the only thing stopping me is the dosages. My daughter is just turning four. Will 5mg be too much? I’m thinking of buying it, taking one myself first to check it’s ok and then trying her with half of one. Does this sound reasonable?

OP posts:
NameChanged15729 · 09/03/2022 20:33

Also that paediatrician needing to prescribe it rule has become the bane of my life. In my area they only like to prescribe it after parents have attended a sleep clinic. If that doesn’t work you get referred to a paediatrician who may or may not agree to give you a prescription. It’s bloody ridiculous. Don’t worry about my child who only sleeps two hours a night and is unconscious during nursery.

What’s even worse is the paediatrician has sent a recommendation to our gp stating the above but has also added that the gp can prescribe it if they assume responsibility. Whatever that means. The gp won’t though, as apparently she doesn’t feel comfortable Hmm

OP posts:
Siepie · 09/03/2022 20:35

In the UK, the usual dose - even for adults - is 2mg. I found 2mg very effective, and I'm much bigger than a 3 year old.

With a child, I would definitely see a private doctor rather than ordering 5mg tablets from the US. Even if you later end up ordering online, I think working with a doctor to get the initial dose right is important.

NameChanged15729 · 09/03/2022 20:41

I’m definitely planning to see a private doctor first. It’s not something I’ve done before though so I’m slightly clueless as to how it works. Particularly as the rules over prescribing it to children seem complex.
I’ve emailed a private practice that I’m hoping looks promising.

OP posts:
Ilovechoc12 · 10/03/2022 15:13

If you want the liquid a bottle costs £130 private In the uk (I was shocked)!

Tablets are cheaper if it’s a private script ….

Biovea is a good company to order from if you want online

CurlyToStraight · 10/03/2022 15:36

@NameChanged15729

I’m tempted to order it from the US, the only thing stopping me is the dosages. My daughter is just turning four. Will 5mg be too much? I’m thinking of buying it, taking one myself first to check it’s ok and then trying her with half of one. Does this sound reasonable?

Please (please!!) don't give your ND 3 year old daughter anything you have bought off the internet, irrespective of whether you have "tried" it or not or how desperate you are. Your reaction may be extremely different to a tiny child's! It's restricted here in the UK for very good reason. As a non-prescription medicine in the States there isn't the same stringent regulations as controlled prescriptions, so may be of variable quality and what you think you are getting may not be the strength you are actually getting. This is not as much as a problem with adults (although it can be) but in a 3 year old...
MindfulBear · 16/03/2022 02:38

You can buy it over the counter in the pharmacy in Spain. The pharmacist advised on the dose (this was for an adult).
Good luck. Hope you find someone. It isn't always the holy grail so don't get your hopes up. Some days it works for me and other days not a hope!!!!
However. As part of a wider approach to sleep it can fit.
Hope you found a private paed to help you?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.