Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

Need advice on schools for high functioning kids

choclate99 · 24/01/2022 12:09

We live in Hounslow, London.
My son is 8 years old. He is in year 3. He is high functioning and goes to mainstream school. He is good at maths but struggling with comprehension, social skills and concentration.
We are able to relocate. if there is any good school until sixth form.
We consider (not considering special schools as he might learn behaviours from other kids)

1. mainstream school that has good support for SEN
  2. School for High functioning kids

Please can you add valuable suggestions here regarding Gretton school or any other school throughout England.

Thanks in advance.
OP's posts:
Please
or

Chocolate999 · 24/01/2022 14:56

Need suggestions on schools for high functioning child

Please
or

stregadelcucito · 24/01/2022 16:02

Was going to recommend my DC’s amazing school, but it’s not mainstream….he’s learnt some really great behaviour while there though, both from staff and other pupils Wink

Please
or

LightTripper · 24/01/2022 16:45

There generally aren't enough parents here to get advice on a local basis. You might have more luck posting on the schools boards - a wider range of parents will see it who might have at least indirect experience on which to make a recommendation.

Good luck!

Please
or

Imitatingdory · 24/01/2022 16:53

not considering special schools as he might learn behaviours from other kids

Hmm

Gretton school IS a special school. It is a mixed bag, parents either love it or hate it.

Does DS have an EHCP? Many SS, even those for high functioning DC, including independent SS require an EHCP. And if DS does have an EHCP be aware if you move LA the new LA can amend, reassess or potentially even cease to maintain it.

If you are willing to look at SS look at
Breckenbrough
Alderwasley Hall
Egerton Rothesay
Swalcliffe Park
LVS Oxford
some of the other Cavendish group schools, some priory schools, some NAS schools.
However the majority will need an EHCP.

Please
or

Chocolate999 · 24/02/2022 23:40

@Imitatingdory

Hmm

Gretton school IS a special school. It is a mixed bag, parents either love it or hate it.

Does DS have an EHCP? Many SS, even those for high functioning DC, including independent SS require an EHCP. And if DS does have an EHCP be aware if you move LA the new LA can amend, reassess or potentially even cease to maintain it.

Breckenbrough
Alderwasley Hall
Egerton Rothesay
Swalcliffe Park
LVS Oxford
some of the other Cavendish group schools, some priory schools, some NAS schools.

Yes he has Ehcp. We are ready to move house if we get place in best school. But I don't know the exact process. Do we need to move the house first or apply for the school first.
Please
or

Imitatingdory · 24/02/2022 23:45

People would be able to better advise you if you didn’t post on separate threads and you used the same username within the thread. If you move LA the new LA will review the EHCP and potentially amend, reassess or even cease to maintain it, so moving LA before or after starting a new school is risky.

Please
or

Chocolate999 · 24/02/2022 23:53

@Imitatingdory

People would be able to better advise you if you didn’t post on separate threads and you used the same username within the thread. If you move LA the new LA will review the EHCP and potentially amend, reassess or even cease to maintain it, so moving LA before or after starting a new school is risky.

Thanks for your valuable suggestions in both threads. I'm very new to Mumsnet. Sorry for bothering you by replying in different threads.

Please advise me what's the best way to apply for other schools in different LA?

He started struggling in the mainstream school. In the current school no proper 1-1 for him and they are lying that they are offering 1-1. But when I ask my son he is saying only his TA names. Not 1-1 assistant name.
Please
or

Imitatingdory · 25/02/2022 00:00

OOA schools are named in the same way as schools within your LA.

Do you mean the general class TA as a TA and a 1:1 are the same thing? And are you sure it is a class TA and not providing 1:1?

Is the 1:1 specified and quantified in F? With no vague or woolly wording? If so, you can enforce the provision. Complain to the LA, as it is them who are ultimately responsible, then if it continue threaten to begin Judicial Review proceedings. However, if the wording is vague with words such as “access to” “or equivalent” “regularly” “would benefit from” etc. it is not enforceable and you should try to tighten the wording up.

Please
or

Chocolate999 · 25/02/2022 00:11

@Imitatingdory

OOA schools are named in the same way as schools within your LA.

Do you mean the general class TA as a TA and a 1:1 are the same thing? And are you sure it is a class TA and not providing 1:1?

Is the 1:1 specified and quantified in F? With no vague or woolly wording? If so, you can enforce the provision. Complain to the LA, as it is them who are ultimately responsible, then if it continue threaten to begin Judicial Review proceedings. However, if the wording is vague with words such as “access to” “or equivalent” “regularly” “would benefit from” etc. it is not enforceable and you should try to tighten the wording up.

What do you mean by OOA schools?

Regarding his 1:1 there is no dedicated teacher for him to support from the last year. There are 2 teachers in his class everyday but those teacher's not meant for his 1:1 , those are only for class children l. I have been talking to the school but they don't reply straight to my questions. Couple of weeks ago the sen head told me that they doesn't have enough funding to give 1-1 for my son. I spoke to case worker and she told me that the school can request additional funding. I passed that information to sen head again. He has applied additional funding couple of weeks ago. Today he is saying that he is still waiting for the additional funding. I spoke to caseworker again today she told me that I should speak to school regarding this if I'm not satisfied I can make formal complaint regarding this. It's absolutely stressful everyday !!
Please
or

Imitatingdory · 25/02/2022 00:14

Out of area schools i.e. schools not in your LA.

Teachers aren’t TAs. It would be unusual for a class to have 2 teachers or 2 TAs each day for the general class.

Funding isn’t your concern. Focus on what is in DS’s EHCP. What does section F say about 1:1.

Please
or

Chocolate999 · 25/02/2022 00:21

@Imitatingdory

Out of area schools i.e. schools not in your LA.

Teachers aren’t TAs. It would be unusual for a class to have 2 teachers or 2 TAs each day for the general class.

Funding isn’t your concern. Focus on what is in DS’s EHCP. What does section F say about 1:1.

Thanks for your advise. Atleast I have one person here to guide me. Thank god
Please
or

Chocolate999 · 27/02/2022 00:04

@Imitatingdory

Hmm

Breckenbrough
Alderwasley Hall
Egerton Rothesay
Swalcliffe Park
LVS Oxford

Hi @Imitatingdory.
www.nasschools.org.uk/schools/?filter%5Bsen%5D=ASC%2FASP&download=t
The schools listed in NAS shows independent. As my son has EHCp do we need to pay ? I am still confused. Thanks in advance
Please
or

Imitatingdory · 27/02/2022 11:52

These are the replies I posted on your other thread.

With an EHCP the schools don’t need to be state schools, non-maintained and independent special schools can also be named in section I.

No, you don’t need to pay if the school is named in section I. The school is named in the EHCP in the same way as a state school is following your AR or early review. Unless the school is wholly independent i.e. not a state school, a non-maintained school or section 41 independent you don’t need an offer of a place.

Please
or

Pra83 · 18/05/2022 10:33

Chocolate999
Hello, just checking if you had any luck or if you would be kind enough to suggest/guide me? I am in exactly same boat as you. Identical situation, boy attending MS primary with EHCP requirez individual suppory in Y3 and struggling. I am also considering gretton, did you manage to see the school, do you have any other suggestions?

Would really appreciate if you can share your experience, if any.

Thank you

Please
or

choclate999 · 20/05/2022 07:50

Hi
I am changing his school to mainstream with ASD unit school. I didn't get chance to visit Gretton as they are fully booked this year.
If you are looking for optionsthe options are Hillingdon Manor, Stepping stones , Unsted park school, st dominics (Godalming , all cavendish schools like holmewood school , moat school there are some more cavendish group schools search in the google.

Only Secondary special schools- swalcliff, Lvs oxford, Beauchamps school

Secondary MS with unit - Cherwell school in Oxford, Cheney school in oxford
Good luck with your search

Please
or

cansu · 21/05/2022 06:57

Churchill is a state school for high functioning kids in Suffolk.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.