My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Spellings

4 replies

Family121 · 20/10/2021 12:42

Good afternoon

My son is age 6 and is a summer born child ( year 2 ), he is in the process of been diagnosed with Autism.

He is currently having a hard time learning spellings. He can read the spelling and sound out the phonic sound and knows the sound. He practices his spellings everyday for around 10/15 mins, I’ve used paint, sand , rainbow pens, say the word, cover and spell. He has foam words he uses in the bath to make it fun, flash cards.

However when it comes to the test he is so logical in his spellings he spells the word how he thinks it should sound not phonetically , for example he will spell peach pEch or he will spell none phonetic words such as head, as hed even though all week he’s been learning it at head.

I feel like I’m missing something to help him get the concept between reading the word and spelling it.

Any ideas please

Thank you

OP posts:
openupmyeagereyes · 20/10/2021 16:56

It sounds like you’re doing all the right things but that it hasn’t clicked for him yet. Once it does I think your hard work will pay off.

On the primary education board there are a few Senco’s and experienced teachers about so you may get some good advice if you post there.

Family121 · 21/10/2021 09:48

Thank you

OP posts:
Ellie56 · 21/10/2021 13:53

Autistic children find it very difficult to transfer skills. So they will not necessarily be able to do something they have learnt at school at home and vice versa.

We had similar problems with our son with homework. He would really struggle with it. When I told the teacher he had no idea what to do, she said he could do it at school and that he was just being lazy (one of many labels she used before he was diagnosed. Hmm)

What happens if you do a spelling test at home?

Family121 · 22/10/2021 11:01

Thank you, I will contact the school to see if they will let me. There’s parents evening coming up after half term so will ask her then.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.