My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

ASD diagnosis and EHCP

12 replies

TankFlyBoss · 30/09/2021 13:26

I would be interested to hear anyone's experience of applying for an EHCP for their child following an ASD diagnosis.

Child is in year 4, mostly meeting targets and academically able but is struggling more and more with social and communication issues, anxiety and emotional upset, friendship issues and asking for help etc. Is not on target in speaking and listening area of the curriculum.

I have not yet discussed with school but have an SEN meeting coming up soon.

I am aware of the need for school to support with emotional and social issues but wanted to ask specifically for experience about ASD and EHCPs.

OP posts:
stressbucket1 · 30/09/2021 15:10

Sorry I don't have any helpful information but we are in a similar situation. Yr 5 DD WITH ASD Not on track with English/writing though. She can read fine it seems to be getting her thoughts organised to write them down that seems to be the problem. We have a meeting in school next week and I'm hoping that will be the start of applying for an EHCP. we have had an Ed psych review already and some things have been put in place to help with the emotional side of things but she needs more help academically.
As far as I know the school need Ed psych input and implement that and if they are not able to meet the child's needs after that it's an EHCP.

Imitatingdory · 30/09/2021 16:59

You don't need an EP assessment prior to applying for an EHCNA, one will be part of the needs assessment should the LA agree to assess. The test for a needs assessment is a) has or may have SEN, and b) may need SEN provision to be made via an EHCP. Anything else is unlawful.

If the LA refuse to assess or issue appeal, the majority of appeals are upheld.

Toomanyminifigs · 01/10/2021 13:50

I know children at grammar school who have an EHCP. It isn't just their academic ability that is (or rather should be) taken into account. Social communication difficulties are just as relevant and important to the development and well-being of a child.

As you are finding, the social differences/gap between a child with ASD and their neurotypical peers really starts to widen from about Yr4/5. At least that was certainly the case with my DS.

My DS has a diagnosis of autism. We applied for an EHCP in the Sept of Yr5 - this was specifically so it was in place in time for secondary. He was just about coping at primary with one teacher and 29 kind children who had known him since he was 4.
(He is now in autism resourced unit attached to a mainstream secondary and doing pretty well.)

I approached his primary Senco and she told me flat out that my DS would never qualify for an EHCP so she wasn't going to fill in the paperwork. (There is a lot of paperwork involved!) I applied for one myself using this template letter from Ipsea:

www.ipsea.org.uk/making-a-request-for-an-ehc-needs-assessment

Yr4 is a good time to start thinking about an EHCP as it will give you enough time if you have to factor in various stages of appeal.

Sound out your DC's school - they may be supportive. If not, there are some very helpful and knowledge people on this board. I would also recommend Ipsea and SOS!SEN - they can be hard to contact though as they're so busy so you need to be persistent.

Good luck!

TankFlyBoss · 03/10/2021 23:38

Thank you so much for your responses and your help x

OP posts:
lollipoprainbow · 04/10/2021 19:20

Identical situation my dd is in year 5 and suffers greatly with social communication, friendships and not asking for help in class. She was diagnosed with ASD back in may. The sen team haven't been particularly supportive and won't apply for an Ehcp as they don't feel she needs one. I've been advised to apply for one myself which I'm seriously considering.

FuckYouCorona · 04/10/2021 19:29

I got my DD an EHCP. Applied in year 8 & it took the best part of a year, but I was persistent. They conceded & agreed to assess weeks before tribunal. Without the EHCP & her learning support assistant, she wouldn't have finished school, despite being highly intelligent & top sets. She's currently doing a degree.

TankFlyBoss · 04/10/2021 20:19

@FuckYouCorona that's interesting I would love to hear more?

OP posts:
FuckYouCorona · 04/10/2021 23:46

You'll need as much evidence as possible to prove the need is there. You need to write something out called parental input, where you basically state the same thing, over & over again in a different way as to why your child needs the EHCP, what you believe will help them & why. (Full time learning support assistant in my case to prompt DD, take notes for her, be her advocate when she cannot help herself & ensure she remains on task). Be firm that you are not giving up until you get what your child needs.

When I say evidence I mean any communication from school about incidents, reports etc. Print out any emails you have & if you haven't done so start emailing them every time there is an issue. Get the SENCO or somebody from the SEN dept on your side & as many staff members as you can. You need these people to help. I rang the NAS & they advised I say "due to her Autism" a lot, because they can't argue with that.

lollipoprainbow · 05/10/2021 10:56

My major issue is that the senco team fob me off and tell me things are in place for my daughter but won't tell me what !! I get the impression they think I'm a silly anxious mother.

Toomanyminifigs · 05/10/2021 12:58

Unfortunately, sometimes you do have to be 'that' parent to fight for the support you know your DC needs.

Familiarise yourself with the SEN Code of Practice. Quote the relevant sections to the school/LEA. In my experience, you get taken more seriously when they know you know what you're talking about.

Link here from Ipsea site:
www.ipsea.org.uk/how-your-nursery-school-or-college-should-help

Is your DD on SEN support/does she have an IEP? Although these things aren't legally binding in the way an EHCP is, they do help to shine a light on what the school is doing to support your child.
They have to set termly SMART targets and you should be having meetings three times a year to discuss progress.

If this isn't happening, then insist on it. If it is and there's still been little/no progress then this is evidence to go into an EHCP needs assessment.

Obviously it's better if parents can work together with the school to help put support in place but if you feel you're getting nowhere or are being fobbed off then you can do it without them.

Karleeb30 · 06/10/2021 17:53

A diagnosis doesn't equal an EHCP sadly. My son is autistic but had an EHCP before his diagnosis. It's based on needs rather than diagnosis. You could apply before diagnosis.

Where I live criteria to get an EHCP is tight. I'm my daughter read rejected at first. It can also take a while...

I was lucky that my two had EHCP'a in pre school before school. My kids school are reluctant to apply for them for children with sen - which is madness and wrong.

Be persistent.

But ultimately the school should provide support with an EHCP or not with one.

Imitatingdory · 06/10/2021 19:07

OP and lollipop just apply for an EHCNA yourself. The criteria for an EHCNA is set in law, and has a relatively low threshold. LAs may say they do things differently, but they are acting unlawfully. If you don't need to appeal the process takes 20 weeks. Although many do have to appeal, unfortunately.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.