My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Private ADHD Diagnosis and EHCP

14 replies

casade13 · 06/03/2021 15:20

Hi all,

My ds10 has received a diagnosis of ADHD via a private assessment due to waiting times via CAMHS.

Has anyone applied for EHCP with a private assessment as I've heard various things about this?

The report will be sent to the GP who will refer onto CAMHS but I'm mindful that this could take some time.

Many thanks

OP posts:
stressbucket1 · 06/03/2021 21:46

Just bumping for you. I can't help specifically but I do know that the more evidence you can get to support the EHCP the better. Do you have an Ed psych report?
We are considering applying for one for DD so have been looking into things.

casade13 · 06/03/2021 22:01

Hey no we haven't although I have seen that would be useful. I am having a discussion with school Monday so will ask whether they would request one!

Privately they cost a lot of money I believe!

Problem is CAMHS just takes so long to do everything especially at the moment

OP posts:
Lockdwonfever · 09/03/2021 22:39

Do you mind me asking about your private assessment. Roughly how long it took overall and how thorough it was? If it’s not too personal...cost?
I’m having to think about this route too for the same reasons but probably can’t afford it

casade13 · 10/03/2021 06:57

Yeah of course no worries. It cost £550. School/ Parents/ child (dependent on age) completes paperwork. Assessment was about 1hr and 15 mins and included a test/ observations and questions for parents/ child. Report will be with me within 5 working days. In total probably took about 5 weeks from enquiry to diagnosis.

OP posts:
ForeverBubblegum · 10/03/2021 13:48

The criteria for a EHCP is 'has or may have SEN', so they will be getting application with no diagnosis at all. Having any diagnosis should put you in a stronger position then not, and you can also include a letter from your doctor saying he has been referred. Theoretically they should be focusing on what his needs are (from teacher, SENCo, SaLT, Ed. phyc etc.) more then why he has those needs.

StarlightMcKenzee · 10/03/2021 14:00

The private diagnosis is not a lawful basis for a Local Authority to deny a child either has the diagnosis or needs help. However, EHCPs are not given to children on the basis of diagnosis, but on the basis of need for different from and additional to provision than is usually available in a state maintained school. This is therefore the evidence that you need. Although not actually law, established practice indicates that the cost of this additional to and different from provision needs to exceed £6k which the school has already put in place and demonstrated is not adequate.

If that hasn't happened, it does not mean that an EHCP cannot be given, but it does mean you probably have more work to do to evidence the needs.

Either way, an EHCP begins with a request for Statutory Assessment which, if agreed, will ensure that an Educational Psychologist sees your child within 3 months from your request.

casade13 · 10/03/2021 16:57

Thank you for your responses and it makes much more sense now. I had also contacted my LA to discuss in a bit more depth.

It has felt like now their is a diagnosis, school are willing to put more support in. Before this it was minimal despite him being behind in his learning. My main focus is that my son gets what he needs :)
Thank you all

OP posts:
Nith · 21/03/2021 13:11

@ForeverBubblegum

The criteria for a EHCP is 'has or may have SEN', so they will be getting application with no diagnosis at all. Having any diagnosis should put you in a stronger position then not, and you can also include a letter from your doctor saying he has been referred. Theoretically they should be focusing on what his needs are (from teacher, SENCo, SaLT, Ed. phyc etc.) more then why he has those needs.

That's not quite right. The criteria for carrying out an assessment which might or might not lead to an EHCP are (1) that the child has or may have SEN, and (2) the child may need support through an EHCP. Once an assessment has been done, the main criterion for deciding whether to issue an EHCP is whether the child's needs can be met within the resources normally available to mainstream schools.

Really the question for your child, OP, is going to be whether he's making adequate progress. That's not just academic progress, it includes things like speech, social difficulties, emotional difficulties such as anxiety, sensory problems etc.
casade13 · 22/03/2021 10:19

Thank you 😊 that's helpful. I recently spoke to the LA which helped understand the process.

OP posts:
JMary2021 · 16/12/2021 23:11

@casade13

Yeah of course no worries. It cost £550. School/ Parents/ child (dependent on age) completes paperwork. Assessment was about 1hr and 15 mins and included a test/ observations and questions for parents/ child. Report will be with me within 5 working days. In total probably took about 5 weeks from enquiry to diagnosis.

Sorry to jump on the thread. Can I ask where you went please. The price and waiting time I’m getting is much higher than that. TIA
DancingLady · 28/12/2021 19:58

Just bumping this. Read with interest, and like JMary waiting times and price where I am (London) is more like £3,000 and a 6-12 months.

My DSs nursery made a referral in January 2020 and we've had an initial appointment with CAMHS and have been told we won't get a diagnostic/assessment appointment (sorry, don't know the terminology) till about November 2022.

casade13 whereabouts in the UK are you?

casade13 · 28/12/2021 20:17

No worries - the place I went to was in Southend! We waited 9 months for it to then go to CAMHS but he was given medication etc straight away. He is nearly 11 though so not sure if different! Hope that helps

OP posts:
DancingLady · 29/12/2021 19:41

Ah thanks! My DS is 6 so maybe it's a different process for younger kids.

Mommalife · 09/07/2022 08:25

Hi - are you able to share or DM the name of the centre please? We are desperate. My child is at the verge of permanent exclusion due his undiagnosed condition and we’ve been going through his assessment with CAHMS for almost 3 years!! Appreciate your help

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.