My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Applying for pip - deaf

9 replies

daisychicken · 02/03/2021 16:18

Hi, I am looking into applying for pip to help provide communication support as I am profoundly deaf. On the Govt website where it gives information about what you need to have to hand, it says "dates and addresses for any time spent abroad, in a care home or hospital". Does this mean inpatient hospital care or outpatients? I rarely have hospital appointments for my hearing, any repairs are organised by email and post! Will that be an issue? Thanks

OP posts:
Newnamefor2021 · 02/03/2021 23:16

Yes, I think the take into account if you have spent vast amounts of time in hospitals and that counts against you as it's seen as not needing the money? I might be wrong.

I think it's really difficult to get PIP for being deaf though. PIP is designed in such a way that only those with severe physical restrictions are eligible. Not saying it's impossible, but just difficult.

I'm deaf too. Or at least severe bi-lateral loss. I wear hearing aids though so I don't have any disability from it other than the fact I will eventually lose all my hearing.

daisychicken · 03/03/2021 15:37

Thanks @Newnamefor2021 that makes sense re inpatient care.

I know quite a few profoundly deaf people like myself who get pip and they've pushed me to go for it as I do need extra communication support. I won't know if I can get it unless I give it a go.

OP posts:
Newnamefor2021 · 03/03/2021 16:31

Very true, you totally should try. Nothing to lose.

Lepetitpiggy · 03/03/2021 17:17

I do PIP applications for people with all sorts of mental health problems and my god they are hard. Its so geared towards physical mobility health. I did manage to get DLA for dd who is hearing impaired but won't bother when she's 16 later this year to try for PIP as it will be quite tricky I think

Lepetitpiggy · 03/03/2021 17:19

That sounds really negative!! It's definitely worth applying for!

daisychicken · 03/03/2021 17:27

Thanks @Lepetitpiggy I know its really difficult but trying to get appropriate communication help and other support is difficult and expensive. I'm often (like many deaf people) excluded because I can't access communication support so it would help hugely if I could get it. Just making sure I have the appropriate paperwork ready before I apply.

Can I ask what do I need to get from my GP? Is it a letter explaining the difficulties or a list of appointments etc? Thanks

OP posts:
Lepetitpiggy · 03/03/2021 17:29

I also have impaired hearing so I totally understand! I think a general letter form your GP is useful. I know that sometimes they make no difference, but if it's something not 'obvious' ( I mean to you and I it is, but to the PIP form it isnt!) it will help.

daisychicken · 03/03/2021 17:32

Thank you Smile

OP posts:
Newnamefor2021 · 03/03/2021 17:55

Cab you get a report form audiology? That might help.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.