Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

Special needs pushchairs

rhino1234 · 02/01/2021 23:31

Hi everyone, I’m looking at special needs pushchairs for my 5yo daughter.

She is autistic (PDA) and refuses to walk most of the time, due to high anxiety and sensory issues. We use a decent buggy stroller thing at the moment but it’s somewhat on the small side now. Am not hopeful about wheelchair services as our local services in general have not been particularly helpful or supportive so far.

My question is: are they worth the investment? How much sturdier/ more manoeuvrable/ bigger are they?

I’m looking at the major elite and the excel elise. Are they as cosy as a buggy with the sun hood? (The hood is very important for her.)

My second question is does anyone else have similar issues around refusal to walk? I sometimes feel like we’re the only ones.

And my final (cheeky) question is does anyone have one that they would consider selling to me? Just on the off chance! Grin

Thanks all.

OP's posts:
Please
or

rhino1234 · 05/01/2021 18:39

Giving myself a bump Smile Anyone else with similar?

It feels like a significant step to me and i feel insecure about it because of the invisibility of it - she’s verbal and can walk (but can’t, if you see what I mean).

Would love to hear anyone’s experiences. Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

livpotter · 05/01/2021 19:44

Hey, we moved to a MacLaren major a couple of years ago and it was the best decision we ever made. He's now 7 and we use it with him and his 5yo sister on the buggy board sometimes, probably massively overweight but it hasn't shown any wear and tear. I definitely felt self conscious at first but now I just don't really care what people think!

It is bigger than a normal pram but not by that much. It's pretty manoeuvrable, and the wheels are big which makes it pretty decent on uneven ground.
The hood isn't as cosy as a normal pram hood because it goes straight out rather than curling round (if you know what I mean?!), but in the past we have used it with a cover over the front to make it more cosy. One of ds's favourite things now is to have an umbrella which he uses to enclose himself into it.

Ds didn't so much have a problem with walking but was very difficult to get out and about, and also almost impossible to get him home if he was having a meltdown. It is definitely his safe space. Before we had it there was no way I could take both Children out at the same time but it makes trips safer and loess stressful.

Please
or

rhino1234 · 07/01/2021 23:16

Thanks so much for your reply @livpotter. Really helpful to hear your experiences with it. I think we’re going to go for it, seems like it’ll definitely make life easier!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Niffler75 · 09/01/2021 22:16

@rhino1234 To be fair I wish I had done this when my son was this age as walking anywhere was a huge challenge. Lots of families are in your situation. Now older my son is much better, how we still need to avoid busy environments.

Please
or

rhino1234 · 10/01/2021 05:55

Thanks @Niffler75 that’s helpful. That’s interesting to hear that it’s improved as your son got older. Do you still need the pushchair now or is it more a case of he walks and you just avoid places that are too challenging for him? And helpful to hear too that lots of families are in this situation. I sometimes feel like the only one!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Niffler75 · 10/01/2021 10:06

@rhino1234 No pushchair here and my son has got so much better saying what he can cope with!

Please
or

Terryamy80 · 16/05/2022 13:53

Hi where do you get a buggy board to fit! Xxx

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.